Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ships Log - Painted with Rustoleum

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM
All Wooded Out

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ships Log - Painted with Rustoleum

Hey all

Painted my truck this week. Just got it all back together and took a cruise around town. Feels better, and I swear it knows the rust is fixed and looks good.

This was all done with the "$50 Rustoleum" paint job but with a twist. About $100 total as I did overbuy on supplies (only truck!) and I needed more colors than most. So about 6 quarts bought but only used ~3.5 in total. Bright side is I have all the leftovers saved in cans in case of scratches or whatever.

Pre-badge pics, but they show the grain best.

Pics later tonight with the vent guards and badges (all plastidipped) back on. Pics arent as good because it was getting late.

(Thats not overspray or uneven metal thats just some funky glare)

Here is where I bought her a couple years ago. Looks good, but its a flattering pic and two years ago. You cant see any of the scratches and junk.

Rust on the roof. Bad. This already existed in minor spots, but I am pretty certain was made worse by a mag mount antenna. Another year or so and there wouldve been a hole.

Closeup of the old paint. Not so pretty now.

(TBC)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM
All Wooded Out

Took an angle grinder to the roof, then lots of varying papers on a DA to get it to metal, then self etching. They say primer isnt needed but it cant hurt.

Midway through scuffing. That took guts.

First two coats of Rustoleum before any sanding. 6 total for the basecoat, and in hindsight with the texture of the grain I couldve done 4 and sanded a lot less. It hides what small imperfections and orange peel were left. I couldve ignored all orange peel and had the same final result. But I sanded it all out as I went.

One coat of Rustoleum on the old tailgate to practice on. I took a pic because I thought it was crazy how shiny it was compared to the OEM clear. Looks like a two tone job under clear, and this is before any buffing. People after a solid color can really do something.

And there you have it.

What I have done so far:

Paint
Plastidipped all plastic
Tint, new 4x4 badges and visor decal
CB and whip (new mount coming)
PA system (to CB)
Cranked bars
New speakers and head unit

Upcoming, likely in order:
CB mount
Spray in bedliner
Black truck box
Interior (Think Victorian pirate ship and you will have an idea. Like the woodgrain you tell people about it and they think youre nuts, hard to describe until its done)
35s
regear
3 inch body (going to try and do myself)

Hope you all like it. Its pretty unique. Already have people honking and waving. Mostly truck guys followed by guys with kids haha!

See ya.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

I dig it! I wouldnt do it to my truck but it looks neat. Now you just need a cool set of wheels to tie it all together. Nice work man, very unique!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 PM
All Wooded Out

Thanks. And yeah not for everyone. I like having something that stands out in my head. For other people thats a bright shiny solid red or black.

I will miss the black for sure, but it was fun and in doing this I gave the metal a lifespan from about a year left to who knows. Saved money and the life of the truck in that regard.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Looks good. But the dowfall with rustolium is ur gonna have to repaint it about every 6 months. I painted one of my classic harleys rustolium flat black and it needs a redo every six months. It fades and looks ashy after a while. I even painted the outside rear plastic molding around my back window of my f150 about 6 months ago and it already needs a redo.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it!! I agree with kozal, I cool set of wheels will make it stand out even more!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
All Wooded Out

Originally Posted by OutlawBiggie
Looks good. But the dowfall with rustolium is ur gonna have to repaint it about every 6 months. I painted one of my classic harleys rustolium flat black and it needs a redo every six months. It fades and looks ashy after a while. I even painted the outside rear plastic molding around my back window of my f150 about 6 months ago and it already needs a redo.
Thats because of the pure black. Rustoleum gloss black fades like crazy from every source I have read that has painted their car in black.

I was actually considering just redoing black and then read about how it fades quickly.

But I have a cover on the way so that should help somewhat too.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
All Wooded Out

Originally Posted by XC_Racer_129
I like it!! I agree with kozal, I cool set of wheels will make it stand out even more!!
Thanks! Yeah its not too pretty from the rockers down Tires are worn and need new wheels. Might just get 35s on there and plastidip the wheels, put the money into regear and 3" body.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 AM
All Wooded Out

So I was sitting here thinking about the interior. Colors, material etc. I was going to do a deep red carpet or something ornate. I want the inside to look very Victorian, in contrast with the outside. Much like an old ship.

Some images I use for inspiration:

While I was going to go with an all fabric carpet in something ornate, it hit me that laminate is flexible and possibly could be used:
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...vinyl-flooring

I might look into that. Would be cheaper than $50 a yard fabric as well.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:47 AM
All Wooded Out

So heres an update. Will have pics in a few days with the body lift on. I had to completely gut the interior (found out the pad was SOAKED from a 3rd brake light leak even though the rest was dry) so I am going to do it all at the same time.

Heres what is going on in the next few weeks:

- Body lift is going on now along with some repairs (trans cooler line, oil change, belt etc)

- Repaint all interior. Bought 5 cans of Duplicolor Vinyl spray in desert sand. I will be TSPing, then wax and tar remover, then mineral spirits to clean all the plastic, and then basecoat in desert sand. Over that will go the Rustoleum. I do not want to use Rustoleum for a base coat as it will be a PITA.

- Recover seats. Using hog rings and pliers, and a bit of tying and fancy shmancy "layering" as the ladies call it, I am going to cover them in old fashioned fabrics like in the above images. I also found some cool worn fishnets for holloween at Big Lots I am going to try and use.

- Dye the carpet. Carpet is out and drying. Bought 5 bottles of Rit to make a dark red.

- Recover or dye the headliner. I have a huge pirate flag. I keep forgetting to measure but if it works I am going to recover with that with adhesive. They dont make fabric wide enough at the craft store otherwise. If that doesnt work I am going to dye it deep red along with the carpet.

Then later on in the coming weeks:

- New tires. 315/70/17 duratracs most likely.

- Plastidip rims and chrome bumpers.

- Por15 the entire truck and bed (after fixing two rust patches on bed found during body lift)

- Line the bed

Quick Reply: Ships Log - Painted with Rustoleum