Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Save your $$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Save your $$$

Ok, so I talked about this in another post today but I wanted to cover this seperately... This post is to help people with a quandary about "crankin up" the torsion bars as opposed to buying aftermarket "indexed" keys... Now I'm not trying to dump on new t-bar keys, but I don't see much use for them...
Here's my list of what I think the major pros and cons are for the new keys:

Pros:
Stronger - but how much stronger do they need to be? there's no more pressure on them than before when "cranking"... the pressure is pointed in a different direction on the key but no big deal.

Better application for added front end weight - if you have a heavy plow or plow frame, heavy bumper, winch or any other added front end weight the "indexed" keys will get you where a non heavy front end is when it's cranked as they allow more adjustment. And the utilization of the extra movement isn't bad as you are still the same amount away from the normal operating angles.

The adj bolts seat better on them - As you "crank" your stock keys the angle in which the bolt meets the key is greater. with the same amount of lift gain the "indexed" keys adj bolt will sit closer to 90deg to the key.

Cons:
They cost money!! - Your stock keys are free!!

They cost money!!!! - they put the exact same amount of added strain on the IFS and even more if you plan on maxing them out which some might try since its hard if the added lift is in your face waiting to be raised up, but IMO that would probably be a tragic idea.

They cost more time and money!!!!!! - you have to unload and remove the T-bars and stock keys and reload which may possibly turn out to be a major PITA

All this because a performance parts salseman was trying to sell these to me when I went to go buy lift blocks for the rear. He offered these keys. I told him I already cranked the factory keys up and don't wanna go higher than that on my front suspension with out a lift. "This is a lift" he says. I replied "More of a tweak, but yeah the same amount of lift except I'd hafta open my wallet!?, No thanks". He replies "Well it's not the same, the keys are re-indexed and they don't put as much strain on front end as crankin the factory ones". "How so?" I asked "you're "turning" the torsion bar the same amount either way!!! in turn turning the LCA down toward the ground the same amount" "just the re-indexed keys allow for more adj afterwards which I have no desire for at this point". He still fought about it as I was on my way to the door.

And the sad part is I think he really believed himself. The man owns the place, do some research and keep your customers informed dude. Or have some knowledge of how this suspension works, I mean, you do own a perfomance parts and acc. shop.

Quick Reply: Save your $$$