Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

rumbling

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rumbling

Hey everyone. Have not been on here in a while because my truck has been good. Now I have a problem. I have a 99 f150 5.4Lwith about 156000 miles. I noticed a hole on the muffler and about the same time, I felt the truck jump on acceleration and then rumble on acceleration when going down the freeway. It stops rumbling when I let off the gas. I am sure it is not the spark plugs and coil packs because all of those have been replaced and knows what it feels like and what the truck does when they go bad. Could the light rumble be because there is a hole in the muffler or somewhere else in the exhaust that I have not found yet? No codes have popped up indicating an engine prob either.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the muffler and see if that solves your problem.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Pimp

I agree. Your gonna have to do it anyway.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM

I replaced it at the oil change prior to last.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM

I am still unsure of the problem. I put the truck in neutral and chocked the wheels so it would not move. I went under to see if the U joints had some play in it and there did not appear to be any. I then put the truck in drive, went under and tried to see if there was some play in it and there was not much if any. When I accelerate the truck hard up a hill or down an on ramp, or anytime I need to gain speed fast, I hear some metal rubbing in the rearend. Also I hear a squeak in the rear right side when I start out slow.

Questions: Does a loose/bad u joint show up more under power when the axles and transmission are under torque than it would just sitting there?

What else could be the problem? Someone mentioned a transmission shimmy to me.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medicshawn
I am still unsure of the problem. I put the truck in neutral and chocked the wheels so it would not move. I went under to see if the U joints had some play in it and there did not appear to be any. I then put the truck in drive, went under and tried to see if there was some play in it and there was not much if any. When I accelerate the truck hard up a hill or down an on ramp, or anytime I need to gain speed fast, I hear some metal rubbing in the rearend. Also I hear a squeak in the rear right side when I start out slow.

Questions: Does a loose/bad u joint show up more under power when the axles and transmission are under torque than it would just sitting there?

What else could be the problem? Someone mentioned a transmission shimmy to me.

You didnt curb(run into a curb) your wheel anytime recently have you? Or have your hit anything solid recently?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM

Only the many potholes that are sometimes unavoidable here in MN. Nothing huge on purpose though?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM

I pulled the rear drive shaft off the truck, brought it in to have the joints on both ends replaced. Cost was 113.00 for replacement and balance. The rumble went away and runs great down the road. Thanks to all.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am glad you have the problem fixed and also that you were kind enough to get back to us about it. Good luck and see ya down the road.

Quick Reply: rumbling