Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Round Two--Spark Plug/Misfire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Round Two--Spark Plug/Misfire Issue

About 8000 miles ago i replaced all 8 plugs and wires, due to misfire. About 200 miles after i replaced them truck started misfiring again. So i found that plug #3 i believe(third one back when standing in front of truck, driver side) was the problem. I pulled it out and found a big problem. The electrode itself had bent inwards, and was embedded into the rest of the plug. Replaced plug, truck ran fine since. Now starting tonight on the way back from work truck started misfiring again. Sounds like it may becoming from same cylinder. Haven't had a chane to pull yet,will tomorrow, but if its the same problem as before, any guesses that could be causing this? This is the only plug that has given me trouble in the 8000 miles i have put on since. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:53 PM

I just put new plugs and wires in my truck but the darn thing still has a miss.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Maybe bad coil packs? Maybe I'll just do a diesel conversion so i dont have to deal with the plugs haha.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:58 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zachlow
Maybe bad coil packs? Maybe I'll just do a diesel conversion so i dont have to deal with the plugs haha.
Does it look like something hit the plug to bend the electrode like that? Does it look melted. If it looks melted I would check for a vacuum leak on that cylinder causing it to run lean or a bad injector. If it looks like something it hitting it check for excessive carbon buildup in the EGR passages.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Well it doesnt look like anything hit it. Does look like it ran hot, either some of the insulation melted out of it, or when the electrode went inside it may have broke it. Now where is the vacume line for this cylinder located? And where is the EGR(not sure what that stands for either)passage and if it is built up with Carbon how do you go about cleaning it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zachlow
Well it doesnt look like anything hit it. Does look like it ran hot, either some of the insulation melted out of it, or when the electrode went inside it may have broke it. Now where is the vacume line for this cylinder located? And where is the EGR(not sure what that stands for either)passage and if it is built up with Carbon how do you go about cleaning it.
It dosent have to be a vacuum line it could be a bad intake gasket or clogged injector causing that cyl to be lean.
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is a valve that allows Exhaust gases to go back thru for a "cleaner" burn in the exhaust. Get a Hayes manual if you are gonna tackle this yourself, other than that all I can do is reccomend you take it to a good shop. Fix it now before it does serious damage. Engines are expensive compared to a few hundred at a shop.

Quick Reply: Round Two--Spark Plug/Misfire Issue