Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rough Idle and Check Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle and Check Engine Codes

Newbie here and have been using this site to help fix recent problem on my F150. I have a 02 F150 4.2 L with 95K miles. A few months back I had a misfire problem and also had check engine light codes P0171 & P0174. Based on what I read on this site concerning these codes I have replaced the coil, replaced the MAF and pulled the plenum and replaced the bolts with the green gaskets and replaced the big o-ring for the plenum cover. My misfire problem is gone but since then my truck has developed a rough idle (only when AC is off) and also it does something really strange when I go in reverse. When I put it in reverse the rpm's go up and down 500 to 1000 - up and down where it really starts jerking the vehicle. It will smooth out if I stick it in N or D. I went back to Azone last night and pulled the codes again and in addition to PO171 and 0174 it now shows 2 new codes P1151 and P1131. Reading this site for those codes seems to indicate bad O2 sensors. I also checked all of the vacuum hoses for leaks but don't see anything obvious. My concern is I seem to be doing too much trial and error with just buying parts and seeing if it fixes the problem. Seems like the only problem I fixed is the misfire. I am ok with buying the O2 sensors but would like to have a good feel that is the problem before I keep throwing money at the problem. Anyone have any advice that could help?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Reset the computer and see if anything changes. Very strange problem indeed. My first reaction was vacuum leak.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak for sure to me. Is it possible that the plenum is not seated or torqued down properly and there is a vacuum leak from the plenum itself?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 PM

I will once again search all of the vacuum tubes to see if there is a leak somewhere. I am pretty sure when I re-installed the plenum that everything went on well and properly torqued. One thing I heard on this site is you can spray carb cleaner around the perimeter of the plenum and if the engine revs up it is a sure sign that the plenum has a bad seal. So I will try that also.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Default Vacuum Leak for sure

I just had the same problem. The misfires and the high idle, I got the same codes as well, P1071 and P1074. It ended up being a crack in the PCV pipe.
Replaced it, and she runs fine.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 PM

Check the vaccum hoses and tubes from the pcv valve to the intake.

These elbows and plastic vacuum pipes go bad with heat etc. after a while and cause all kinds of problems.

You can buy the replacement set for the pcv vacuum hoses and pipes from Ford about 40-50 bucks and put it on.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 AM

I pulled every hose pcv hose off this weekend and checked each individual hose for leaks and checked all elbows and they all passed the inspection. I also took carb cleaner and sprayed it around the plenum and the engine never responded which shows that has a good seal.

So I guess my next move is to go ahead and purchase new O2 sensors and replace them unless anyone else has anthing they can think of?

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and Check Engine Codes