Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Replacing Radiator on a 4.6 L

Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Radiator on a 4.6 L

My 1998 F150 5-speed (no tranny cooler)developed a leak in the radiator, so I decided to replace it with a new one from NAPA. Cost $209 plus tax.

Just a run through on the proceduer I used to remove & replace the 2-row radiator.
I began with removing the plastic piece that lies over the top of the radiator. Remove the little plastic screws and the plugs that hold it in place. Set it aside.
Remove the cover over the throttle body. 3 screws (10mm)
Remove the air filter housing from the throttle body & try to remove as much of the air plenum assembly as you can. The part that holds the filter in place will pop out of it's grommets holes and will enable you to pull it from the fender breather holes This will help gain some access to the lower hose clamp.
Then remove the 2 screws(9mm) that hold the fan shroud in place. These are located on each side of the radiator. Once loose, push the shroud toward the engine as much as possible. You don't need to remove it, just get it out of the way.
Remove the upper & lower hoses, and the feeder hose to the reservoir tank. Also remove the spill over small hose from the radiator. The clamps that hold these hoses in place are tough to deal with on the bottom hose because the access is limited. I always replace these clamps with a screw ring clamp for easier removal in the future.
Now, remove the 2 screws(10mm) that hold the top of the radiator in place. Take off the 2 assembly brackets.
The radiator is now able to be lifted out. There are 2 plastic posts that just sit into 2 grommets for the lower radiator attachment. It may be a little hard to remove the unit because the posts are sticking to the grommets. I kept wiggling the whole thing until it popped loose.
Once loose, you should be able to lift the radiator right out.
Plug the new unit right into the old spot. Make sure you know top from bottom on the new unit. It should pop right back into the grommet holes.
Re-attach the hoses....don't forget the ones that come off the reservoir tank.
Next, re-attach the fan shroud. Make sure that the shroud is properly in place against the radiator so the fan won't hit it. Don't put the top brackets on yet, so that you can move the unit a bit to line up the screw holes for the shroud. After the shroud it attached, go ahead and screw the top brackets back in place.
Replace the air filter assembly and throttle body cover.
To finish up, refill the reservoir tank with the proper coolant. I use the 50/50 mixture. Start you motor, turn the heater on "hot" and let it warm up enough so the thermostat opens and lets more coolant into the system. Check the levels after taking the truck for a ride.
Check for leaks !
This is also a good time to replace your hoses, and thermostat.

Last edited by peterqb24; 12-11-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM

nice tut however i seen no mention of the tranny cooler lines urs maybe not equiped with it but my 97 lines plug into the radiator as well and are a pain in the too remove the bottum one unless u take the drivers side fender well out. even then u still make shure too remove the lower radiator hose first so u can unscrew the line easyer
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Default Thanks for the catch

I sometimes forget that I own one of the few 5-speed F150's....every other one I see has an auto tranny. You are correct in assuming that my truck did not come equipped with a tranny cooler.
Let me know what to look forward to if I ever attempt another replacement on an automatic F150 radiator.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by bones2o21
nice tut however i seen no mention of the tranny cooler lines urs maybe not equiped with it but my 97 lines plug into the radiator as well and are a pain in the too remove the bottum one unless u take the drivers side fender well out. even then u still make shure too remove the lower radiator hose first so u can unscrew the line easyer
How did you get it loose? remove the smaller one or the large nut? How did you go about this? Thanx in advance.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default radiator

Why don't you put a ground strap from the radiator to a good ground to help reduce any electrolysis that might be going on.
'97, 4.6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Radiator on a 4.6 L