Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Replacing my ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my ignition coils

Gents,

My 2001 supercrew needs new ignition coils. Yes, my mechanic (a personal friend so I trust him) says to replace all eight. The truck has 130,000 miles, so it is probably better to do all at once anyway. I got the set of 8 coils for a great price, so it didnt hurt so bad.
I just found out my mechanic is going out of town for two weeks with his family, so I am going to do this job myself. All I need to know is what items need to be removed (other than the bad coils and plugs) for me to get this job done.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 PM

theyre pretty easy its supposed to be a a few hour job. you just need to take the bolt that hold the coil unplugg the electrical plug. pop them out and while you do it u should change the plugs and i recommend the dual prong not the split single. u shouldnt need to take off the fuel rail i wouldnt touch it at at all the injector seals i heard nead vaselean or a lubewhen put on . i just cleaned my coil wires and cleaned them just for the heck of it and put some electrical conductive gel. !!!!!!! WHEN OR IF U CHANGE YOUR PLUGS DO IT WITH A COLD ENGINE!!!!!!! and i would take a air hose and blow out the plug holes i have a 2000 5.4l that is what you have ?? same set up ish?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:28 PM

yeah, i have the same set-up. i am going to attempt to change them today, just letting the engine cool down from work this morning. thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am sure you can handle to job if the proper tools are available. Have a question, why did your friend (mechanic) advise you to change them out? CEL or what?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:41 AM

the back 2 closest to the firewall on the drivers side are a pain in the dick to change, but other than that, they are pretty smooth changing (
oval shaped with flat glossy top). i think the bolt that holds them in is (8 mm?) and the electrical harness. all you have to do is squirt a lil dielectric grease on the connections before you reinstall them. you do not have to take the fuel rail off to change them out, and like the person said earlier, i would recommend changing your plugs and wire connectors since you are pulling your spark coils. all n all, simple task, just a little time consuming. have fun!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Its a 7mm bolt head. The new coils might come with spark plug connectors (th rubber boot between the coil and connector) if not get a set of new ones. If an injector is in the way you can carefully turn it. I have never had to pull a fuel rail yet to change them. Make sure the bolt is straight when you go back in or it will strip.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
My girlfriend is white.

I knew it! Already having to replace Ford parts because they don't last. It must really suck knowing you have to do so many repairs so often.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainWaifers
I knew it! Already having to replace Ford parts because they don't last. It must really suck knowing you have to do so many repairs so often.
running the same coils and plugs for 130,000 is just stupid, routine maintenance is to be expected...those who dont understand it are always the first to complain about spending money on parts. stuff wears out, deal with it..its not a ford or chevy issue, although you probably want it to be just so you can justify your purchase, Chevrolets OEM manufacturers arent any better or worse than anyone elses.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
My girlfriend is white.

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
running the same coils and plugs for 130,000 is just stupid, routine maintenance is to be expected...those who dont understand it are always the first to complain about spending money on parts. stuff wears out, deal with it..its not a ford or chevy issue, although you probably want it to be just so you can justify your purchase, Chevrolets OEM manufacturers arent any better or worse than anyone elses.
Your right... sorry I didn't mean to offend you.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skidmarks
and i would take a air hose and blow out the plug holes
not sure if i understood this all the way but if i did get it right you want him to blow out the plug wholes into the head? with them on?

thats a good idea, almost as good as putting thumb tacks in your upholstery.

Quick Reply: Replacing my ignition coils