Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Replacing my crankshaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my crankshaft sensor

How would I go about doing this?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been needing to know the same thibg is your truck studder when you take off?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM

yeah and it makes a rattling noise, Autozone ran a diagnostic and they tell me that sensor needs to be replaced and it is causing my #2 cylinder to misfire.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Crankshaft sensor making a noise, doubt it. Cam synchronizer maybe? I wish people would remember that checking codes is not a diagnostic! Autozone and other parts store that check codes for free, are there to sell you parts! Codes are a starting point. Further diagnosis is still needed. On a 4.2L I would be checking the harmonic balancer for keyway slop. Crank sensor triggers off of the balancer. I would have to believe that if it is setting crank sensor codes and misfire codes for cylinder #2, both would not be related. Bad enough misfire can also cause crank sensor type codes, stalling can too.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't know what half of that means. I'm a history major who only knows enough about cars to do basic maintenance XD
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Born to a Ford Family

From an English major to the history major -

He's talking about the big metal donut on the crank. It is held in place by a small peice of metal that fits into a slot machined into the crank. If either the key or the slot wears enough, the balancer (donut) can have some slop which causes a) noise and b) the sensor to cross its reference point later than it should. b) causes the engine to miss because the computer has bad information as to when it should a) inject fuel and b) fire the plug.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Born to a Ford Family

BTW - History and English majors are usually poor... This means that by necessity, we have to learn to do our own maintenance...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I was just trying to inform you that the parts people typically know nothing about fixing your check engine light. They do the free code check because in return they sell more parts. Code reader can be bought for less than a hundred bucks, cheap investment for the parts store. The codes give you a general path to start the diagnosis! Other than the light on, on the dash, does your truck have a driving issue?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Born to a Ford Family

Amplifying info - A faulty Crankshaft sensor will not cause a specific cyclinder to misfire. If #2 is throwing a misfire code, then there is a problem somewhere with #2. This can range from a bad coil, to a spark plug to (hope not) burned valves...

TRD-Toy is exactly right, Autozone ain't in business to troubleshoot your truck. They are in business to sell parts. With misfire type problems, you can go through a lot of parts to find the one causing the problem.

I'd be interested to know since you don't state it in the thread... Was there a check engine light on?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Default Replaced COP

Just thought I would add my two cents. I had a code for misfire in #7. (Advance Auto Parts diagnosed). I replaced the COP this evening, didnt buy it from Advance. heehee. Bought it from Global on Ebay and I'm running like a champ! I have learned a ton from this forum and really appreciate all the veteran guys who know their s! Keep Trucking!

Quick Reply: Replacing my crankshaft sensor