Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Replacing ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing ignition cylinder

2000 F150 Lariat 4.6L

My car doesn't start. The starter is fine or at least works. The starter switch/solenoid isn't the problem. I jumped the two cylinders touching a screw driver to both of them. Completing circuit, i guess that's what you call it? The car will start with this jumping method with the ignition to the position that it would be in while running.

The problem is the ignition cylinder. When i try to start the car nothing happens, no sounds, no cranking. I assume the starter isn't getting power from turning the key.

Question is: Can I just order another ignition cylinder, complete with two keys, and replace it with my car? Or will this interfere with PATS?

Also, my anti-theft light won't stop blinking unless the car is running. I only have the keys and not remote entry remote. Door key code pad doesn't work.

Possible to also just swap out PATS system? Would that fix the theft light flashing issue?

Thank you for your time!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Its not the ignition cylinder. There is a ignition swithc mounted at the base of the coulmn that is more than likely bad. A tuner can tune the pats system off.
The following users liked this post:
saipansmall (05-12-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
Its not the ignition cylinder. There is a ignition swithc mounted at the base of the coulmn that is more than likely bad. A tuner can tune the pats system off.
Which tuner? The 2003 i jus bought has that on it.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 AM

[MENTION=76842]Carcrazygts2[/MENTION] I'm going to try changing out the starter solenoid before I try anything else, stupid me should have done this from the very beginning.

But, ignition switch?

I'll get a better picture tomorrow. But, idk, maybe you might see it from here.

Also, very sorry for late reply, this thread slipped my mind.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

First use a test light while having some one try to start it. See if your getting power to the solenoid on the fire wall. It is the connector that just pushes on. If you are not getting power to with the key in the start position more than likely it the ignition switch assembly.

In your first picture you see the white rectangular object, behind the black bar? That is the ignition switch. The part number from Ford is 11572(SW-5011).
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 PM

[MENTION=76842]Carcrazygts2[/MENTION]

posting some stuff regarding this problem here. https://www.f150forum.com/f6/unknown...300688/index6/

But, will try to do that test when this typhoon is past. There's a typhoon right now.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Came here to post this exact same issue - 01 5.4L won't start unless I jump the two posts on the firewall-mounted starter solenoid (which I've already tried replacing).

If I take a multimeter, set it to volts DC, then test the negative terminal on the battery and the small signal wire on the solenoid, I'm reading ~7.53v with the key turned to ON, regardless of whether the key is being turned or not.

I'm not hearing any clicking noise at the starter solenoid OR the starter, but I do hear clicking in the interior fuse panel. Does this rule out the ignition switch or make it the prime culprit? I did replace the airbag clock spring around the time this started occurring several months ago (truck isn't my DD), so I'm wondering if I didn't screw something up putting everything back together.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 PM

Guys! The starter solenoid finally arrived and i had time to replace the part today. Starter solenoid was indeed the problem and not ignition cylinder. Phew, avoided wasting money. Also, seems like the problem of the flashing lights and wipers not working were all because of that solenoid!

Quick Reply: Replacing ignition cylinder