Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

replacing front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing front wheel bearing

Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Ford trucks. I now have (about a year) a 2002 F-150 supercab 5.2 l 2x4 which runs great. Coming back from a trip I started to hear a weird noise when I was pulling off the interstate. It then went away, I've driven it a few more times and have heard this noise again. Not a grinding, more like a crunching from the right front. Turns out its a bad right front outer wheel bearing, came out in pieces when I took the hub off. After cleaning up the hub and axle I have a couple of questions.
1. It appears that the rotor face is scored so the rotor should be changed.
Is the rotor and hub 1 or 2 pieces? They don't appear to separate.
2. The axle where the outer bearing rides has some scoring where the outer bearing came apart and gouged the axle.
Can this be smoothed out and used or does the bearing ride on it? It is the tapered area just after the threads and cotter pin hole.
The area in the hub where the outer bearing goes is also slightly scored, does the bearing ride on this?
If the rotor and hub are one piece then my second question is moot as I need to change the rotors.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mdsjsb
Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Ford trucks. I now have (about a year) a 2002 F-150 supercab 5.2 l 2x4 which runs great. Coming back from a trip I started to hear a weird noise when I was pulling off the interstate. It then went away, I've driven it a few more times and have heard this noise again. Not a grinding, more like a crunching from the right front. Turns out its a bad right front outer wheel bearing, came out in pieces when I took the hub off. After cleaning up the hub and axle I have a couple of questions.
1. It appears that the rotor face is scored so the rotor should be changed.
Is the rotor and hub 1 or 2 pieces? They don't appear to separate.
2. The axle where the outer bearing rides has some scoring where the outer bearing came apart and gouged the axle.
Can this be smoothed out and used or does the bearing ride on it? It is the tapered area just after the threads and cotter pin hole.
The area in the hub where the outer bearing goes is also slightly scored, does the bearing ride on this?
If the rotor and hub are one piece then my second question is moot as I need to change the rotors.
Any help would be appreciated.
The rotors and hub are separate. Take the caliper off and put a bolt in the top caliper hole and then put a nut on the bolt, then tighten the nut. The bolt with push on the rotor causing it to move forward away from the hub. Once its loose rock it back and forth and pull it off. If its hard to rock beat it with a hammer but be careful to not hit the studs on the hub.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Zebracakes
The rotors and hub are separate. Take the caliper off and put a bolt in the top caliper hole and then put a nut on the bolt, then tighten the nut. The bolt with push on the rotor causing it to move forward away from the hub. Once its loose rock it back and forth and pull it off. If its hard to rock beat it with a hammer but be careful to not hit the studs on the hub.
Wrong. On a 2wd the rotor and hub are one piece.

To the op if you can post a picture of how bad the scoring is. If you are going to replace the rotor you best bet is to replace both front rotors, bearings and seals at one time. This will insure a long life along with not having the likelyhood of creating a brake pull due to different rotor thickness.
The following users liked this post:
mdsjsb (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Zebracakes
I bent the steering knuckle doing this. Well one of em. It worked on the driver's side real nice. Then I bent the passenger side lol
Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2

To the op if you can post a picture of how bad the scoring is. If you are going to replace the rotor you best bet is to replace both front rotors, bearings and seals at one time. This will insure a long life along with not having the likelyhood of creating a brake pull due to different rotor thickness.
THanks for the info.
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it.
So what you are saying is that when you need to replace rotors on a 2002 2wd f-150 you need to either carry the old bearings over to the new rotor/hub or replace the bearings too.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by mdsjsb
THanks for the info.
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it.
So what you are saying is that when you need to replace rotors on a 2002 2wd f-150 you need to either carry the old bearings over to the new rotor/hub or replace the bearings too.
Correct.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2

Oopps I guess it does say 2x4. xD
Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Default pics of scored spindle

attached is a pic of the scored spindle. I am hoping I can smooth it out with emery cloth and cocus since the outer bearing race rides on this area and not the bearing itself. Am I correct?
Also where and what would be the suggestion as to replacement rotors pads and bearings?
Attached Thumbnails replacing front wheel bearing-img_1573.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM

The outer bearing runs on the flat right before that on spindle. Just clean it up with a emery cloth. Use emery cloth to polish up the rest of the spindle. Slap new rotors, new bearing on it and call it good.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my bearings, rotors, and pads at the same time. Used all auto zone parts. You can get some from Amazon or Ebay, I used Autozone cause when I bought the truck the brakes were worn pretty bad. Thier are many brands, all have their pros and cons. Theirs Ebc, Hawk, Raybestos, Centric and many off brands. I used Hawk brakes and EBC rotors on my G35 and I liked them. I am not sure of Wheel bearing brands besides centric. I used Autozone bearings.

Quick Reply: replacing front wheel bearing