Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Replacing engine... questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 AM
www.RVRoadTrip.us

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing engine... questions?

One of these days in the not so distant future I am going to have to replace the 5.4L engine in my truck. Anyone that has done this before can you share some details about it?

Where did you get your new engine?
How much was it?
How much was the charge to do the swap?
What new items did you replace at the time? (water pump, etc.)
What would you do differently if you had to do it again?

The reason I ask is that I have newly formed oil leaks at the head gaskets and I figure these are gonna grow until they blow. (162K miles on the engine and I tow 5000 lbs all the time). Thanks all...
Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use http://car-part.com/ to find parts for my truck. When I swapped the 4.6 for 5.4 I bought the 5.4 from friend who did Lightning conversions. He knew the engine that I was getting was a good one. I did my own work so the labour was free. If you plan on paying to get it done get quotes from places that you trust. Ask your friends. Sometimes dealership mechanics do work on the side......... If you are handy with tools you can do it yourself. Get a good shop manual and read up on the procedure. If you lack the tools or feel uncomfortable with the procedure have it done by a pro. Some scrap yards install their engines for you and offer a warranty.

Quick Reply: Replacing engine... questions?