Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Replacing COPs & Plugs ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing COPs & Plugs ??

I have a 2000 F150 2x2 w/5.4, AT, 117k miles. Never run hard, never pulled a trailer, oil & filter always changed at 4k miles, air filter, fuel filter, etc, etc, etc. I'm fairly meticulous with all my vehicles. That said, I've replaced 2 of the COPs over the past 3 years and now have another going out. The hotter the temp & higher humidity (live in mid-MS), the worse it runs; but if I "gas" it harder, it usually smooths out. I saw an ad at Summit Racing for a complete set of 8 Ford COPs for $199.95. I'm assuming that I would be money ahead by replacing the plugs, wires, and COPs all at the same time. Any thoughts from the experts here? Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If they ain't bad(cop's) no need to replace. Spark plugs after 100k or so is a good idea. IMO only use motorcraft parts. They are the best for your Ford truck.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
If they ain't bad(cop's) no need to replace. Spark plugs after 100k or so is a good idea. IMO only use motorcraft parts. They are the best for your Ford truck.
Oh and you don't have wires
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Global automotive on ebay sells a set of 8 COPS for less than $100.00. I get mine from there.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
Oh and you don't have wires
x2

Plus, most guys recommend sticking with Motorcraft (Ford OEM) COPs. Check out rockauto for a better price than summit
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickathome
I have a 2000 F150 2x2 w/5.4, AT, 117k miles. Never run hard, never pulled a trailer, oil & filter always changed at 4k miles, air filter, fuel filter, etc, etc, etc. I'm fairly meticulous with all my vehicles. That said, I've replaced 2 of the COPs over the past 3 years and now have another going out. The hotter the temp & higher humidity (live in mid-MS), the worse it runs; but if I "gas" it harder, it usually smooths out. I saw an ad at Summit Racing for a complete set of 8 Ford COPs for $199.95. I'm assuming that I would be money ahead by replacing the plugs, wires, and COPs all at the same time. Any thoughts from the experts here? Thanks!!!!!

How do you test the COP's or how do you know if they are bad. My truck is the same way the hotter the temp the worse it runs. Im thinking it might be a COP's but im not throwing any lights.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM

That said, I've replaced 2 of the COPs over the past 3 years and now have another going out.
What are symptoms of a coil going out??

How do you figure out which one it is??

I have a slight cut out when cruising at around 50-60 mph (kinda like its running out of gas), its very, very slight right now and only noticeable to me. It also has not tripped the CEL yet. So I suspect its something simple, gonna do a small tune-up this weekend and go from there. (spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv, oil change, etc)
Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by spyder98
How do you test the COP's or how do you know if they are bad. My truck is the same way the hotter the temp the worse it runs. Im thinking it might be a COP's but im not throwing any lights.
Originally Posted by ericdg16

I have a slight cut out when cruising at around 50-60 mph (kinda like its running out of gas), its very, very slight right now and only noticeable to me. It also has not tripped the CEL yet. So I suspect its something simple, gonna do a small tune-up this weekend and go from there. (spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv, oil change, etc)
Its very simple actually....it dont always throw a code when a cop is at the beginning of going out,Start the engine and let it idle.Then unplug each coil ONE at a time.You will hear a change in the way the engine idles/feels....if no change the coil is more than likley bad.If you unplug one and there is a surge in the idle/the way it runs/idles you know you got a good one.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ericdg16

You either have worn electrodes on you spark plugs or a bad coil pack. My truck did the same thing. I changed all the plugs with motorcraft platinum and changed 1 coil pack on cylinder 7. Coil packs are electrical so they either work or they dont no inbetween. You might just have to drive it till you trigger the light to know which cylinder is not firing.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On both of the previously replaced COPs, there was no "engine" light. It ran rough intermittently, and my local "wrench" plugged in his handy-dandy magic box and said "Replace COP # _". I did and lived happily ever after (til the next time and my wrench did the same thing). This time, no light & magic box couldn't detect it anything amiss. My wrench said to bring it back tomorrow and he'd try something else.

Quick Reply: Replacing COPs & Plugs ??