Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Remanufactured engine advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remanufactured engine advice please

I posted back some time on here about engine noises and possible causes. Well, over time it has went from a slight tick to "I think it's time to do something about it". Definitely mechanical.

So I am thinking re manufactured engine. Specifically one from AER. I have moved to a major city not long ago and found a place that specializes in engine replacement and they use AER engines. This is for a 5.4L Triton in a 03 SCREW 4x4. Total price for engine and labor will be $4,200.

I don't want to try a used engine because I tried that once and it ended up badly all around. Mechanic, bad engine, etc. Re manufactured engines from AER claim good things like replacement parts that address defects that were discovered during the life of the particular engine so that past known problems are addressed.

I'm sure I could get a jasper engine or another make but the shop only does AER. Wanting to hear about them. Especially anybody that has experience with them.

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Google will give you more opinions than this forum. All I will say is make sure the spark plug issue is corrected on your reman engine. Look for reviews on different makes and model engine rebuilds. That will give you an overall insight on the quality of work they do. Sorry I have no insight of that company. Good Luck
Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM

Googled for a few hours. Information was surprisingly sparse. Went to the shop I plan on doing the work and they showed me one of the engines. But,, I never could get any good solid information. Hence, asking here.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by apollumi
Googled for a few hours. Information was surprisingly sparse. Went to the shop I plan on doing the work and they showed me one of the engines. But,, I never could get any good solid information. Hence, asking here.
If they replaced all the spark plug threads from 4 count to 8 count and they offer a warranty I would say go for it.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

I went with a promar engine. They fix the spark plug holes and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. 2350 shipped with prepaid core return shipping. But did the work myself. If there is no info when you google it probably means that they are a small company. Like prevat said just check those two things and make a decision.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 5,561 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Personally I'd never go with a reman for a Ford modular. Even from the best re-builders I seen them fail. I once witnessed Jasper fail twice in a row, - it took 3 engines to get a good one.

Granted, some have had good luck with them, but I've seen more failures with remans in the past vs used. In fact I have yet to see a used engine fail since they are tested before the sale and you can test them yourself with a simple compresion test before purchase.

Yea, some re-manufactures offer more threads in the heads. It's a selling ploy that has become popular because so many go for it. So why not take advantage of the consumer, - somebody will if they don't. Anyway that's the true thought about it and it's nothing more than that.

The so called problem with the lack of plug chamber threads wasn't the the problem as this was decided in a court of law. The problem was lack of torque...plain, simple and proved. Nothing more but exaggeration since some or perhaps even most enjoy pointing the finger, - specially at the manufacturer for their own satisfaction. Sad really...

Anyway, apollumi, -do what your most comfortable with, IMO and personally - I would do this much differently as I know I would be getting much more for my money with possibly a lot less hassle. It could go both ways yes, but there's so much you can do to prevent getting a bad used engine. That is worth learning to your benefit all around.

Good Luck Man
Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 PM

I smell what you are cooking Jbrew. I agree with it also. Unfortunately for me I tried the used engine swap before on another vehicle. Turned out really bad which is not good at all for a first experience. Right after the engine swap I noticed my oil light was on all of the time. The mechanic forgot to swap my oil pan over. That I could live with believe it or not. It was every now and then when the transmission disengaged and I coasted that was a real problem. Then there was the grinding noise that started after 6 months or so. Anyway, a really bad experience. I bought the more expensive low mileage engine also.

A bad mechanic, poor engine, bad luck? Yeah, probably true on all accounts. It's all based on your past experiences and circumstances. So it seems a dice roll to me any way you go. The exception here is before I was in a small town when I got a used engine and now I am in a large city looking at a place that specializes in replacing engines and transmissions. That is the foundation of their work. They also have very good reviews via google, yelp, etc. Seem to treat the customers right.

What these folks use are AER engines. I'm in Texas and they have two plants here. I'm told they make engines that Ford uses to put into cars that get a remanufactured engine. To some degree I've managed to "Internet rumor based" confirm this. I also understand that they are basically on the level of Jasper engines. AER being a slightly larger company with a better reputation.

So both trouble me but I'm hopeful about somebody that does just engines will increase my odds.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

sounds like you have done your home work. I dont see much of a downside.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 5,561 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Originally Posted by apollumi
I smell what you are cooking Jbrew. I agree with it also. Unfortunately for me I tried the used engine swap before on another vehicle. Turned out really bad which is not good at all for a first experience. Right after the engine swap I noticed my oil light was on all of the time. The mechanic forgot to swap my oil pan over. That I could live with believe it or not. It was every now and then when the transmission disengaged and I coasted that was a real problem. Then there was the grinding noise that started after 6 months or so. Anyway, a really bad experience. I bought the more expensive low mileage engine also.

A bad mechanic, poor engine, bad luck? Yeah, probably true on all accounts. It's all based on your past experiences and circumstances. So it seems a dice roll to me any way you go. The exception here is before I was in a small town when I got a used engine and now I am in a large city looking at a place that specializes in replacing engines and transmissions. That is the foundation of their work. They also have very good reviews via google, yelp, etc. Seem to treat the customers right.

What these folks use are AER engines. I'm in Texas and they have two plants here. I'm told they make engines that Ford uses to put into cars that get a remanufactured engine. To some degree I've managed to "Internet rumor based" confirm this. I also understand that they are basically on the level of Jasper engines. AER being a slightly larger company with a better reputation.

So both trouble me but I'm hopeful about somebody that does just engines will increase my odds.
Yea, seems like a little luck is required either way lol. All you can do with a used engined is compression test. That test alone can tell the story and has to be performed before mining for the green backs. Then the engine has to be swapped rather quickly as the warranty's are usually shorter. I guess the perfect used engine purchase would be one where you could hear run before purchase. That's usually not the case unfortunately.

Like jprevat mentioned, you've done the homework and that can make all the difference, - it's a big investment for most and it sounds like the company your going with is on the level. It those customer reviews that matter, - that's also why I prefer Amazon over ebay, -also THIS SITE and sites like it. You get other peoples past experiences with things. That right there makes for a lot less homework.

I hope all goes well, - chances are, - it will!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Jasper has 23,000 and runs great.

The state here has Jaspers in some of their rigs too. Not sure how you've seen TWO in a row fail.

Sea stories sound great though!

Quick Reply: Remanufactured engine advice please