Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Relay clicking in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Relay clicking in the dash?

I can hear a relay clicking in the dash when driving down the road and going over bumps. It doesn't make any noise when I'm stopped or idling, only when going over bumps. It definitely sounds like a relay, and it's coming from somewhere in the middle of the dash around the radio area. I read about problems with the GEM, but that's behind the fuse box, right? It definitely doesn't sound like it's coming from that area. The truck runs fine, everything is working and I get no warning lights. This is a 2001 F150 4.2 with manual locks and windows BTW. Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward83
I can hear a relay clicking in the dash when driving down the road and going over bumps. It doesn't make any noise when I'm stopped or idling, only when going over bumps. It definitely sounds like a relay, and it's coming from somewhere in the middle of the dash around the radio area. I read about problems with the GEM, but that's behind the fuse box, right? It definitely doesn't sound like it's coming from that area. The truck runs fine, everything is working and I get no warning lights. This is a 2001 F150 4.2 with manual locks and windows BTW. Any suggestions?
I believe there's two grounds (green 8mm heads) behind the drivers side kick panel. I'd clean them up first before mining for the GEM. There's one other that I know of behind passenger side kick panel. I can't recall what that ones for, It might be another PCM ground not sure, but those (both sides) are easy to get to.

Quick Reply: Relay clicking in the dash?