Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rebuilding 4r70w - need tranny guru help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rebuilding 4r70w - need tranny guru help

I have been rebuilding my 4r70w out of my 2002 screw 5.4 for going on two weeks now and I am almost ready to toss in the towel. I am new to the Ford world and also first auto rebuild. If there is a specific transmission section please forgive me.

So here is the issue. The stub shaft broke and in doing so I have replaced a bunch of hard parts. They are mostly all new. I also sprung for the high performance pack from Oregon transmission with the sonnax sure cure. So I am rebuilding everything back up and everything is spinning up great and feels nice until I install the forward drum with reverse drum. Once I do this I can barely spin it counter clockwise but spins ok when I go clockwise. It's like it's not down through all the clutches but it definitely looks and feels like it is.

Will it it be very hard to rotate to the right but nice to the left? What am I doing wrong? I have broke it back down and built back up 3 times and still is the same.. I really thought I would be done in a half a weekend and now it has been a bunch of time and I am wishing I had someone locally that could come and help me throw it back together correctly.

Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jtimm
I have been rebuilding my 4r70w out of my 2002 screw 5.4 for going on two weeks now and I am almost ready to toss in the towel. I am new to the Ford world and also first auto rebuild. If there is a specific transmission section please forgive me.

So here is the issue. The stub shaft broke and in doing so I have replaced a bunch of hard parts. They are mostly all new. I also sprung for the high performance pack from Oregon transmission with the sonnax sure cure. So I am rebuilding everything back up and everything is spinning up great and feels nice until I install the forward drum with reverse drum. Once I do this I can barely spin it counter clockwise but spins ok when I go clockwise. It's like it's not down through all the clutches but it definitely looks and feels like it is.

Will it it be very hard to rotate to the right but nice to the left? What am I doing wrong? I have broke it back down and built back up 3 times and still is the same.. I really thought I would be done in a half a weekend and now it has been a bunch of time and I am wishing I had someone locally that could come and help me throw it back together correctly.

Any ideas?
There is someone locally. You just need to find him and pay him. Unless you live in a place like say remote Alaska you should be able to find with a little searching.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a manual for it? I bought one a couple years ago when I built my trans and it had step by step instructions and it was very helpful as I had never done a 4r70w if you have in depth questions feel free to pm me and ill see what I can come up with if I cant help we have a trans guy at workthat has done a ton of them and he could pprobably shine some light on this
Old 08-03-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response guys. So found that the center support was a tad warped and bought a replacement. It feels ok now and is built back up but ran into a memory issue on the spring setup for accumulators.

This truck was modified extensively by troyer performance a few years back for high performance mods. I failed to snap photos of how the accumulators came out and of course they were the only things I didn't bag. Why I have no idea. But basically I have two springs left - one is light blue and somewhat lengthy and the other is kind of a gray color. Does anyone have instructions for the troyer vb mod and the spring setup or can help me identify how they should go together? It is different than stock and I am unable to find any information out there as troyer is no longer in business.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Its supposed to be difficult to turn one and easier the other. This is caused by the low/reverse one way clutch and mechanical diode one way clutch. typically when you replace both one way clutches, it is more difficult to do turn by hand.

as far as the left over springs, those are the 1-2 accumulator springs... the long lt blue springs goes on top, the shorter spring goes on bottom.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 4r70w - need tranny guru help