Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rear Shackle broke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rear Shackle broke!

While turning into my driveway my passenger rear shackle broke. Of course the lower thru bolt was seized in the sleeve and had to remove my towbar to get to it to heat and beat it.

Have it changed out but have a few questions.

#1 WTF! In all my years I can't recall ever seeing a shackle break. I've seen SPRINGS break but never the shackle. How many have y'all seen?

#2 Have any idea what would cause this to happen? Where it broke looked like nice clean metal, not a rust thru! Stress from the bottom getting seized?

#3 Ya think I should be thinking about doing a prophylactic swap on the driver's side? Planning on driving Chicago to NY in November.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd swap both, I don't think this break is as rare as you might think. slather the old bolts in anti-seize if you don't hate yourself lol. Just did mine but i was swapping springs anyhow so it just made sense.

-Kirk
The following users liked this post:
Raybz (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybz
While turning into my driveway my passenger rear shackle broke. Of course the lower thru bolt was seized in the sleeve and had to remove my towbar to get to it to heat and beat it.

Have it changed out but have a few questions.

#1 WTF! In all my years I can't recall ever seeing a shackle break. I've seen SPRINGS break but never the shackle. How many have y'all seen?

#2 Have any idea what would cause this to happen? Where it broke looked like nice clean metal, not a rust thru! Stress from the bottom getting seized?

#3 Ya think I should be thinking about doing a prophylactic swap on the driver's side? Planning on driving Chicago to NY in November.
It's actually more common than you think. The rust through and let go quickly! No damage to the bed? If so you got lucky! Might be time to replace all of them and have your springs refreshed or upgrade to #2200 lb springs while your there. Or simply fix and keep on drivin! Depends on your goals for the truck.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 AM

No bed damage. But I'll tell ya what......I thought someone shot at me with a shotgun and a deer slug!

I'm REALLY surprised that y'all are saying it's more common that I think
Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybz
No bed damage. But I'll tell ya what......I thought someone shot at me with a shotgun and a deer slug!

I'm REALLY surprised that y'all are saying it's more common that I think
Wow consisted yourself lucky I've seen springs shoot thought the bottom of the bed. Yes it's actually a very common weak spot especially on trucks in the rust belt. replace with quality brackets and they'll last the life of the truck
Raybz (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

I've seen it a bunch on here just since the time I joined. There's a picture on here if you search that shows the spring went through the bottom of the bed.

They are $30 each at Autozone and I just replaced mine. They even come with bushings if you need them. You should absolutely 100% replace both at the same time.
Raybz (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Well it looks like I will be swapping the other one out in the next couple weeks. At least I still have the tow bar off so it won't be as bad and I'll have time to Kroil the crap out of the bolts so the removal SHOULD be a little easier
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

That's not rare at all, as these folks say. Very minor item, ive seen the truck itself break way more often. my truck had shackles replaced at age 12 not long before I got her. They weren't actually broken yet but there was clearly justification to replace, and the truck is in amazing condition underneath.

Yes, I'd replace the other one while you're at it

Quick Reply: Rear Shackle broke!