Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

rear end options

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end options

hey guys what are all the rear end ratio options for the 00-03 5.4's? and how do you know which ones have a possi?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 PM
4dtuff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.55 is the standard gear mostly used, to check for sure crawl under the back and look around the back cover on rear end there should be a metal tag on one of the bolts, it will tell you the ratio
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4dtuff
3.55 is the standard gear mostly used, to check for sure crawl under the back and look around the back cover on rear end there should be a metal tag on one of the bolts, it will tell you the ratio
cool thanks
what about possi or rear lockers, whatever you call em.. how would i know if a truck has it? im gona be towing, offroad alot, in the snow, i really want a locking rear end
Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 PM

Look on the inner door panel and rear where it say B6 or B9 if it has a letter in front its limited slip B6 373 B9 355 I think just numbers is possy .. My 03 FX4 has a B6 373 gears and it pulls like a diesel... But only has the tiny little 5.4 in it.. LOL
Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Look on the door jamb and see what it says is the axle code. That will tell you for sure (assuming it hasn't been changed out).
Old 11-15-2009, 12:38 AM

I have a 2000 with the 5.4 towing package, has 3.55 limited slip
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 AM

hey guys, very excited, just bought one tonight! gona pick it up monday, its an 03 5.4 4x4 xlt stx extended cab, i love it, dark blue with chrome running boards, 42k miles, color matched cap,,blue book was comin at 14,7 or so,they were askin $14,200 with bald tires, got it for $13k with the promise of any offroad tire i want on it, made sure to tell him no cheep knock off brands, my choice, mounted before i pick it up, im thinkin a nice set of 265/70/17 bf goodrich all terrains, what do you think? gotta call him tomorrow and tell him wat kinda tire, anyway,1 owner truck ,beautifully maintained, traded it in for a new dodge ram, poor guy lol, the guy had the window sticker in the glove box from when it was new, it has the 3.55 rear, and limited slip which im happy about, no "tow/haul" mode button on the shifter, but im pretty sure i read on the window sticker "towing package", it did have a hitch and everything , thats as far as i know, cant wait to get it though!
thanks for answerin the questions! im sure ill have more to come now! i used to have a 98f150 v6 2wd 5speed, so this is a big step up!

Last edited by banshee150; 11-15-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Extreme Member

i believe theres 3:73, 4;10 (come in 7700 series), and 4:53
Old 11-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Congrats on the upgrade!

The tow/haul button is simply called the overdrive on/off button now. It turns off the OD so you're not hunting for gears.

For tires, if you don't think you'll be doing much off pavement driving, the BFG TA/KO's would be great tires. They darn last near forever. Do pretty well off road, and can hold their own.

Ensure that the tires are proper load rating, if you decide to tow with it.

The tow package doesn't consist of only the hitch, it also includes the cooler too.

Just don't engage the 4x4 system on dry pavement, don't mistake it for the AC fan ****, and have fun with it!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mawk
Congrats on the upgrade!

The tow/haul button is simply called the overdrive on/off button now. It turns off the OD so you're not hunting for gears.

For tires, if you don't think you'll be doing much off pavement driving, the BFG TA/KO's would be great tires. They darn last near forever. Do pretty well off road, and can hold their own.

Ensure that the tires are proper load rating, if you decide to tow with it.

The tow package doesn't consist of only the hitch, it also includes the cooler too.

Just don't engage the 4x4 system on dry pavement, don't mistake it for the AC fan ****, and have fun with it!
oh ok it had the overdrive button on the shifter yea, im guessing when towing 2-3k pounds i should leave OD off at all times?

im gona be going offroad a bit, while towing too, so im actually considering some more aggressive tires now, i really like the toyo open country M/t's, they are damn expensive but why not right, the manager said they were payin for em! any advice or experience with them? the reviews look great, so many people say those bf goodrich all terrains last forever though, i hear that all the time, ive never owned a pair, but thats why i was considering them as well, but the toyo m/t's look much more aggressive and like i said, the deal is made, i aint payin for em, so screw it, right!?

as far as load rating , i was also wondering about that, id say ill never be towing over 4k pounds, and if i did, itd be very rare, most often itd be more like 2-3k, what load rating do i need?

thats awesome if it has the trans cooler, im like 90% sure i saw "tow package" on the original window sticker under the limited slip option, i hope so, thatd be great news!!!

i engaged the 4x4 in the parking lot after the test drive of the dealership just to make sure it worked, then shut it off and backed it into its spot, only went 50 feet maybe, thanks for the tip though, this is actually the first 4wd ive owned, all cars before the old 98 2wd f150, cant wait to pick her up!
thanks for the help

Quick Reply: rear end options