Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Radiator Mister System, WHAT?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radiator Mister System, WHAT?

I found online a radiator mister system that basically squirts water on the radiator to cool it. Don't know how else to explain it but they say it works and it's easy to install. Has anyone ever tried these things?

I'm thinking about making one for my transmission cooler out of an old windshield washer pump, an overflow tank, hose, toggle switch and the nozzles from an old patio mister system I have.

I'd put the tank & pump behind the seat with cool water, not ice water I don't want to crack the transmission cooler, attach the nozzles to the cooler and put a switch on the dash somewhere.

Do you think something like this would cool off the transmission fluid enough to make a difference or am I wasting my time?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Wasting time.

In theory, yes it would be awesome... I mean hey portacool Fans are legit right..?

If it was the cats meow, then the factory would do it. Seems like a lot of sugar for a dime.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Never heard of this before. From just a practical standpoint, what good can it do? Seems a mist would immediately evaporate on a hot radiator and it would take a lot more then a mist to cool a hot radiator.

Misters weren't developed for a direct mist on a radiator. In racing with mid engine cars air tunneling is highly engineered and used to serve more then one master. One of the problems with tunneling air is drag so tunneling starts with as small an opening as possible and then the air is further compressed for down force. The air gets very hot when compressed just as it does with a turbo charger. Various mister designs have been used to cool the air in the tunnel. The mist has even been referred to as a lubricant. Anyway, they're used to cool the air and not the actual radiator.

From what you describe, why not just create a tank and put the cooler into it? Use a lot of heat sinking fins to keep the liquid you put in the tank cool?

BTW, Save a tree, eat a beaver? Is that it?

Last edited by River1; 08-06-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Why start a new thread ? Yours WAS going good. There's a simple solution to hot fluid. Run the GOOD stuff and you won't have a heat issue. I posted that up in your original thread. So, well, if you keep searching for alternate answers, you'll find them. Will they work ? I doubt it since your problem is mechanical, but that's a result from cheap fluid. Good fluid is a night and day difference. Avoiding that fact (since you didn't post in your other thread), yea, you will need a trans soon I expect. Like I mentioned before, I've already went thru the same problem and conquered it successfully. This happened to me 140,000 miles ago. If your in disbelief, nothing I can do about that but say, -

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Why start a new thread ? Yours WAS going good. There's a simple solution to hot fluid. Run the GOOD stuff and you won't have a heat issue. I posted that up in your original thread. So, well, if you keep searching for alternate answers, you'll find them. Will they work ? I doubt it since your problem is mechanical, but that's a result from cheap fluid. Good fluid is a night and day difference. Avoiding that fact (since you didn't post in your other thread), yea, you will need a trans soon I expect. Like I mentioned before, I've already went thru the same problem and conquered it successfully. This happened to me 140,000 miles ago. If your in disbelief, nothing I can do about that but say, -

Good Luck
My reasoning for temporally finding alternative answers is financial and of course to prolong the life of a damaged transmission that's in my daily driver.

I joined this forum because I love F150s and to gain knowledge from other members and learn from their experiences, I don't mean to confuse or **** off anyone by beating a dead dog but starting a new thread adds life to that dead dog. I seem to attract members who don't like reading about the same old situations and having to explain themselves time and time again to newer members.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by savatreatabvr
My reasoning for temporally finding alternative answers is financial and of course to prolong the life of a damaged transmission that's in my daily driver.

I joined this forum because I love F150s and to gain knowledge from other members and learn from their experiences, I don't mean to confuse or **** off anyone by beating a dead dog but starting a new thread adds life to that dead dog. I seem to attract members who don't like reading about the same old situations and having to explain themselves time and time again to newer members.
Guess that includes burning bridges, - I gotcha.
You don't need that other thread then. One of the worst things you can do on a forum is start another thread basically about the same subject. Your thinking is all wrong and you HAD the answer.

Like I said good Luck
Old 08-06-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by savatreatabvr

I thought jbrew's response in your other thread was spot on about better fluid. You need to remember that the advice you get here is free. Albeit from other members that most are not professional mechanics but have real life experience fixing this truck.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Radiator Mister System, WHAT?

Originally Posted by River1
Never heard of this before. From just a practical standpoint, what good can it do? Seems a mist would immediately evaporate on a hot radiator and it would take a lot more then a mist to cool a hot radiator.
It's actually the evaporation that does the cooling. Have you ever gotten alcohol or acetone or any other highly volatile liquid on your hand and it feels really cold? It's the same principle with water, just instead of using a volatile liquid, it uses the high surface area of a mist to allow for faster evaporation, thus cooling whatever the mist touches.

I do agree with your point however that it's going to take a lot more than a mist to cool something at that scale. It would probably work wonders on a rc car but something this big it just won't work like advertised.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

I have seen these on intercoolers for turbo's, a lot of guys run them when they auto cross since they can add a bunch of ice water to the tank then dump it quickly on the intercooler in the few minutes they are racing.

For a long term solution for a truck transmission, not going to do a thing. You would need a bed full of water to even begin to have it make a difference\ (which with the added weight would add more heat to the tranny).
Old 08-07-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

First I would find out why you tranny temps are so high and then cool them a better way. Bypass the lines going through the radiator, install a larger cooler, larger cooler with fans....

Wayne

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator Mister System, WHAT?