Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Quick Squeak Remedy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Squeak Remedy.

I know the answer to my question inevitably is 'more lube', but I'm looking for places to put it. When I'm cruising around under 20-25 mph, I have an intermittent squeak coming from the back end. I think it's from the left wheel well but I can't be sure. I don't know if it's coming from a suspension component or a wheel bearing or what, but if anybody has any idea of what it is and how/where I can lube it, please let me know.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you be more specific? Like does is make noise when you hit a bump or float, is it a steady noise, does it increase with speed? It could just be a shock, or a bed to frame squeak, or some other suspension component.
To test the wheel bearings, jack the truck up WITH A REAL JACK and put wheel chocks on the front so the truck does not move. Stay away from under the frame, grab the rear tire with the truck in neutral and turn it and move it and see if you can feel anything grinding or loose.
I don't think it is a bearing as that would squeak with rotation and you would know. Most likely metal to metal somewhere. Grab the bed and push it up and down and see if you can find the noise. Also check the springs to make sure those 4 bolts that hold them to the differential are tight. It could be the tailgate so drive around with the tailgate down and see if the noise stops.
Most likely a shock and the rubber bushing and you can check by spraying WD40 on the chrome piston shaft and rubber shock bushing on the shock that you can see.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this go to your tailgate and shake it..not to hard but try irt and see if you can recreate the sound, I also thought I had a squeak from my rear tires or something turned out I found the tailgate was the culprit...if so just grease up the hatch assy. and the rubber/styrofoam stopper

Quick Reply: Quick Squeak Remedy.