Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Questions about cooling system.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about cooling system.....

First let me say I did a search and couldn't quite find what I was looking for....
I have a 2001 F-150 super crew 4x4 and I have had to flush the cooling system 3 times in the last month. The truck now has 150K on the odometer and it seems that there is alot of rust in the cooling system.
The temp gauge never goes beyond the half way mark even when I am towing my camper.
When I removed the cap from the jug, it looked like solidified mud down in the radiator jug. I spent a whole afternoon flushing the entire system with Super Flush and when I was done, I got nothing but clear water out of it. Ran it for about 3 weeks, checked it daily and all of a sudden it happened again. I am stumped and am assuming it is the radiator?

When I tore into it again last night, same thing, solidified "mud" in the coolant tank. Disconnecting the tank, had nothing but anti-freeze and water in the lower radiator hose but gunk coming out of the radiator.

Does this happen frequently? Is it a known problem with this truck or is it just my bad kuck? I use green anti-freeze...not the red stuff.

Thanks

Richard

Last edited by rj8806; 09-03-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

how does the oil look on your dipstick? If it's all whipped up or foamy you may have a headgasket or intake manifold leak in which case the gunk is oil mixed with coolant in your rad. Just my .02
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
how does the oil look on your dipstick? If it's all whipped up or foamy you may have a headgasket or intake manifold leak in which case the gunk is oil mixed with coolant in your rad. Just my .02

Nope, oil is fine. A little overdue for an oil change but looks fine.

Quick Reply: Questions about cooling system.....