Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Q's on Hydraulic Clutch/Not Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Q's on Hydraulic Clutch/Not Shifting

Hi There! I'm new to the forum! I just bought a 2000 Ford F150 XL V6 4.2L manual trans.

I noticed the truck has a small leak (not oil), and yesterday I get in the truck and with my foot on the clutch, the shifter will NOT go into any gear. It came with a 1,000 mile/3 month warranty and the repair shop at the dealer is giving me grief. He told me he replaced the Master Cylinder and he said he will replace the Slave Cylinder next weekend. I'm kinda pissed because he should have done both the first time and then bled it right, which I highly doubt at this point. I basically lost faith in this guy anf am looking for a better mechanic (I will have to pay myself) to get teh job done right.

My question is how I do know the Master Cylinder was replaced? Where do I look exactly? Does anyone have a diagram of the Hydraulic Clutch, Master Cylinder, and Slave Cylinder? Also, Can this thing be filled with brake fluid in the meantime to keep it on the road til I can get it fixed??? Or should I leave it parked?

Thank you!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi there neighbor, do a vusual check forward side of firewall, find clutch reservoir up near the brake booster, follow the hyd line to the master. If reservoir is empty, top it off. Don't know the exact bleeding procedure, own an auto trans, will have to rely on others to chime in.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM

You can fill the reservoir up and try it. I had a 94 ranger that did that and could fill it up 3 or 4 days for awhile. I have not looked at my 150 but the ranger had to pull the tranny to change the slave cylinder. The worst thing is i had to pump the clutch as it got worse. So it wasn't exactly the safest thing in the world.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The slave cylinder is internal, requiring the removal of the transmission. Not knowing the miles you might consider new clutch and pressure plate.

as to topping it off when mine started leaking I was able to fill the reservoir every few days and went a month. Once it went dry I was done. Of course it happened in Jan and I was trying to nurse it to spring for warmer weather. No fun working on cold wet, salty vehicles
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
JRV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the truck shift into any gears when you have the vehicle turned off? If it goes into gear smoothly, but won't go into the gears when it is turned on, you're looking at a clutch issue. Also check and see if you're brake fluid has metal fragments in it, it could be causing it to bind up. This was the issue with my brother-in-laws ranger, so these are simply ideas. Pressure plate and slave cylinder were both ideas we didn't rule out, but did not end up being the problem. If it is your clutch, replace that slave cylinder and pilot bearing while you have everything out.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Hi there......so next Tue I'm taking it to the dealership to have them replace the slave cylinder.....I'm going to top off the brake fluid before I go so it can shift while I'm driving it. As far as the shifting goes.....once the brake fluid leaked out, that is when I could not shift it, at first, when I started the truck......then the next day I was able to get it into gear with the truck off.....so I go to start it, and nothing. Then I try again, and I can get it into gear.

I will check the brake fluid for any particles. Once these guys replace the slave cylinder I am hoping the issue is fixed for good, but will ask them to bleed the line properly. Thank you for the information everyone!!!
Regards,
Susan

Quick Reply: Q's on Hydraulic Clutch/Not Shifting