Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Pulled some codes, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pulled some codes, need help

Hello, my vehicle -- 1999 F150 XLT Triton 4.6L-- 4R70W (AODE) tranny, approx. 125k miles 2WD

Using my pc, ELM connector, and ForScan, these are the codes that I came up with.

IABM -- B1318 battery voltage too low, I used a multi meter, battery less than 2 years old, showed 12.5. Maybe my alternator is not putting out enough, or ???

Note -- I'm a rookie with ForScan (don't know what PIDS are or how to use them), and multi meters. I'm old school old timer having replaced several engines and pulled some trannys, brake jobs, heater cores, etc in my younger days.

GEM -- B1318
-- B1450
-- B1428
-- P0500
-- B1315

Not sure what to do now. Previously recently replaced a speed sensor on top of the differential. I looked at the tail piece of the tranny, I see an electrical type sensor at the rear. Tranny is bucking on a slight uphill at about 33 mph with overdrive off -- shifting into second stops the bucking. Any help or ideas appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by fordysenior; 06-21-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I screwed up and used my old notes last night, and being late, SCREWED UP. MY MISTAKE. Disregard anything I said last night, except the VSS 500 code. I broke my screen the other day when the dog was playing so I have a lot of crap that is hard to read right now and I screwed up. Forgive me please. I hate to give bad info, and complain when people do. I did it myself. Sorry guys.

Being all the different codes, what did you do, drive into a river? Can you give us a better description of all your problems, so that maybe a single item, don't know what it would be right off, but it could be a ground if they run off a common point. Does your truck become hard to start when it's hot? So many different problems. SO many possible starting points.

Last edited by akdoggie; 06-22-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Remove and Clean the Battery Cable
Try spraying Electric Contact Cleaner on GEM Terminal. Try fixing the Battery Relay short. If this don't solve the issue replace GEM.

B1428 Seat Belt Lamp Failure
B1450 Wiper Wash delay switch failure
B0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
B1315 Battery Saver Relay Coil ciruit short to battery
B1318 Battery Voltage Low
The following users liked this post:
fordysenior (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 AM

Time to replace the monitor today. I broke it the outer glass so the things look a bit weird when reading. I was sure the OP said B0315 when it is P1315. Think of it like looking out a shatter front windshield. That's my monitor since yesterday. Darn dog. lol

I take responsibility for the disinformation I posted. Sorry. Time for me to eat some Crow. Oops.

Still, you have a circuit that could be a ground problem, and the VSS (500) is still a separate line running with the GEM, so if they have a common ground, there could still be your problem.

How many volts is the battery seeing with the engine running? You should see a 13.7 to 14.+ volts hitting the battery for the alternator to be working right. Less than that will not keep the battery full when using anything like AC or the heater, etc.

Last edited by akdoggie; 06-22-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,615 Posts

All is forgiven AK... We all know your reputation of only the best.
akdoggie (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the nice words. I still F'd up and it was my fault. I'd blame the dog more, but I was playing with her and she ran into the screen while I was dusting. It just went to hell in a handbasket. It didn't break the inner screen, but the cover glass, shattered like my windshield when a big rock hit it. Today I put up my 32 inch tv screen. I can read that much better than the 22 inch I HAD. lol That's when things became more clear and I saw what I wrote compared to the OP's post. Talk about feeling STUPID. lol

Last edited by akdoggie; 06-22-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I screwed up and used my old notes last night, and being late, SCREWED UP. MY MISTAKE. Disregard anything I said last night, except the VSS 500 code. I broke my screen the other day when the dog was playing so I have a lot of crap that is hard to read right now and I screwed up. Forgive me please. I hate to give bad info, and complain when people do. I did it myself. Sorry guys.
I've done the same in the past, so your forgiven lol.

Well, whatever you do, don't blame the dog. Payback is hell. I did that once and found an empty bag of Twizzlers soon after. It was the good kind of Twizzlers too. One of those pricey Theater Packs (big bag) that cost more than the movie. 100% pure licorice with NO plastic additives.

They may also change up squat locations in the yard as well when you wrong them. They can be tricky assuring that you realize this in the rudest way possible. Yea, dogs can have a devious soul if you trigger it.

Anyway, good patch job AK.
akdoggie (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:08 PM

Whatever the bad advice was, I didn't see it -- so noooo problem.

Checked with the meter this morning, the battery showed 12.2. I started it and it shows 14.5 with the meter prongs on the battery cables. I have no other problems other than the tranny bucking. It starts good at every other time.

I was thinking the VSS (0500) is that thing at the tail piece of the tranny, should I replace it at about $22.

"Fixing the battery relay short" -- does that mean replace the "battery saver relay" at about $30.

I don't even know where the battery relay is, or the GEM

And no,, I didn't run it into a river, sounds like fun though. I'm just dropping this quick note before running off to work, but thanks for the help. I'd rather fix it myself than send it off to someone else.

Last edited by fordysenior; 06-22-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:23 PM

At $22 for the VSS, that would be where I start. If your trans works when you replace it like you want, then your golden. Usually it is a sensor or a wire. Check the wiring first and if good, replace the sensor.

The GEM is under the dash to the left of the strg column. It has a specific number on it that is necessary when replacing. If you see the black box looking thing, you've found it. I haven't had to check a battery relay, but it should be in the fuse box under the hood. It should click when removed, showing it is working. If it doesn't click, try another of the same type relays in the box and see if it works then. I believe the relays are the same, but double check first. I don't have a parts manual where I am right today. Have fun.
fordysenior (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a try, probably within the next couple of days.
And I don't think it matters, but it did occur to me that I left the ignition switch in the 'on' position a couple of weeks ago -- it was on all night. Dead battery in the morning.

I don't mind replacing easy to get at parts that aren't too expensive and maybe it will work.

Quick Reply: Pulled some codes, need help