Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

PROBLEMS 98 f150 4.2 just rebuilt running rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEMS 98 f150 4.2 just rebuilt running rough

Hi how are you guys, I am new to this site so just so everyone gets an idea of what i'm about, I was a chevy guy for the longest but ever since I got my 96 mustang gt I have had a change of heart. I really like the way this 4.6 is built after toying with is for awhile. Anyways here's to my current problem. I gave my mother a 1998 F-150 with a blown engine and told her I would rebuild it (this being my first FORD re-build ever) but I figured i'de figure it out. So pulled the motor and trans; rebuilt the bottom end (complete new crank kit) since the heads were just re done I didn't bother messing with them. Anyways I lined the timing up at tdc, put everything together, installed the cam position sensor which was a new thing to me but other then that everything went smooth. Now, When I start the truck it runs great past about 1600 rpm, anything under that it is running very rough and the engine moves/vibrates way more then normal. I used the correct tool to install the cam position assembly under the sensor, but thats the only reason I could think for it to be running rough is that maybe that thing is off a smidge. I did not mark it before I took it out because I figure the tool would take care of it. Am I able to loosen the washer that holds it town and turn it a little to see if it helps like a distributor? Because it is right there wanting to run like a champ this is killing me! It idles very rough and I have a hard time getting it to start. I checked plug wire routing, new wires (one had tinfoil stuffed in it and it made it run alot better when I replaced them), new coil pack, new fuel pump/filter, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED MY MOTHER IS ON MY A*S SHE'S BEEN WITHOUT A CAR FOR A MONTH.
Thanks so much to whoever can give me any suggestions.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Default please help

I really need you guys help. I'm 21 years old and my dad passed and he taught me everything I know he had me wrenchin soon as I could walk. No I have noone to go to for free help and if you need ore precise details just ask. I would really appreciate a response so I can continue learning and troubleshooting this thing. THANKS again
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Question

Ok so i dropped the exhaust at the headers to see if that cats were clogged and it helped a little bit. But i believe it is the timing on the cam position sensor. I took the metal water lines out above the water pump to re install it and see if i was a tooth off or something and it ran great, but then the sensor got in the way of the freakin metal water lines coming out the top of the water pump when i went to put it back on... So of course i had to loosin the bolt and turn the cps a little counter clockwise to make it fit, and of course no it runs like crap again. So i'm going to take out the water lines and re-install properly hopefully once again. If anyone has any tips or input on this i would really appreciate it this is my first time on this site and havn't got any responses so if i'm doing something wrong or being to detailed please let me know i would really like to become a contributing member to this site.
Thanks so much!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Hunter of Moose

First off....Welcome to FTE!
I unfortunately can not offer any advice as I'm not sure what could be your problem. I do want to suggest that you post your situation in the engine forum and perhaps you may get some hits there.
Hope you get things worked out.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks for at least responding i appreciate the courtesy. I will post in the engine forum, i didn't know there was such a think yet. Anyways thank you

Quick Reply: PROBLEMS 98 f150 4.2 just rebuilt running rough