Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Problem with 99 F150 power outlets and phone chargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with 99 F150 power outlets and phone chargers

OK, here is the strangest thing I have ever encountered.

I have multiple 12v USB port car charger ports. To be more specific these are the chargers that turn your power outlet and cigarette lighters into USB charging ports.

For some reason, none of them will work in my F150. I have tried several android and several iphone chargers with different phones. All of the USB adapters light up, so they are getting power from the cigarette lighter and the 12v power outlet, but when I plug the cords/phones in none of the phones will charge. Tried an Iphone and two androids. I then took the same chargers and phones to my other cars and they light up just the same, but actually charge the phones. On my F-150 they do nothing, the screen on the phones stay black and the charging indicators do not come on.

--------UPDATE------- And what's even stranger is that I just plugged in my GPS and it powers it up just fine. I then plugged in a cheap radio shack 75w 120v adaptor and plugged in my cordless drill charger. They both worked fine. I then took a dedicated micro USB 12v car charger (from before they went to the 2 piece USB port/separate cord setup) and it works and charges my android phones.

IF the USB port converters didn't work perfectly in the other cars I would say its the USB ports, but I have tried them multiple times now with the same results. The phones were Samsung Galaxy S4, Iphone5, and HTC OneX smartphones. The bad part is that I do not believe they make an Iphone5 charger that does not get power from a USB.

Weird.....

Last edited by Opie-IN; 08-30-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 229 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Opie-IN
OK, here is the strangest thing I have ever encountered and have no idea where to start.

I have multiple 12v car chargers. For some reason, none of them will work in my F150. I have tried several android and several iphones chargers with different phones. All of them light up, so they are getting power from the cigarette lighter and the 12v power outlet, but when I plug the phones in none of the phones will charge. Tried an Iphone and two androids. I then took the same chargers and phones to my other cars and they light up the same, but charge the phones.

Where do I start with this one?

I do know that my grandfather was a volunteer fireman and had blue emergency lights on top of the truck that he used to plug into the 12v outlet when needed. Do you think something was changed electrically to allow the lights to work through there?

Thanks.
Mine does the same thing. Will charge my ipod about 10% of the time,makes no sense.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 PM

And what's even stranger is that I just plugged in my GPS and it powers it up just fine. I then took a dedicated micro USB 12v car charger (from before they went to the 2 piece USB port/separate cord setup) and it charges my android phones.

IF the car chargers didn't work perfectly in the other cars I would say its the USB ports, but I have tried them multiple times now. Phones were Samsung Galaxy S4, Iphone5, and HTC One smartphones.

Last edited by Opie-IN; 08-30-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 229 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Opie-IN
And what's even stranger is that I just plugged in my GPS and it powers it up just fine...
Same here. I'm interested to see if anyone can explain it. Powers my spotlight too
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I had this issue too, it's fixed now. I'm not 100% sure on what the problem was but if I had to guess, I would say check the cable you're using. Most cables are usually data cables, so they have 2 pairs (1 data pair, 1 power pair, 4 wires total) but these wires are tiny, like only a 22-26 gauge. And I found these wouldn't power my phone. But if I got a dedicated charge cable (1 pair, red and black ~16 guage 2 wires total) I found the larger wires worked way better, and this cable would charge my phone perfectly every time.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM

OK, thanks. I will look on ebay and try to find some "charge only" cables and see what happens there.

If that works I will update the post.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Problem with 99 F150 power outlets and phone chargers