Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Power steering whine??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power steering whine??

sounds like a supercharger is the best way i can describe it but not as loud. did some searching and the power steering may be the culprit? would changing the fluid do away with this noise or should i replace the pump? how hard is changing the pump? i might just do it anyways you can kind of hear it in this video but not as good as inside obviously.. ill try and get a sound clip from inside

View My Video
View My Video

also wtf is that squeak? it only comes when its cold and it has to be a good sized bump like going over a speed bump

Last edited by dcalicotte03; 01-18-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for reminding me, you need to check your PS oil level. A little low will make them whine. Cold temps seems to agravate the issue.

When a pump is going out, or the front seal is bad, the pump sucks in air forming air bubbles and hence the whine.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Thanks for reminding me, you need to check your PS oil level. A little low will make them whine. Cold temps seems to agravate the issue.

When a pump is going out, or the front seal is bad, the pump sucks in air forming air bubbles and hence the whine.

yeah, its worse when its cold.. my ps fluid was full the last time i checked it..ill have to take another look. i guess it may be going out? only has 68k on it.. i havent had very good luck with this truck so far
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

cant beleive im the first to pull this call... its ford power steering what else is new haha, but seriously, check your fluid
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Old Fart With An F-150

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, check out your ac compressor and clutch as well. My 99 displayed the same symptoms and initially I thought it was the ps pump until the compressor seized on me. Just sayin'

J.R.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyR
FWIW, check out your ac compressor and clutch as well. My 99 displayed the same symptoms and initially I thought it was the ps pump until the compressor seized on me. Just sayin'

J.R.
Pretty unfamiliar with that. What should I be checking for?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Old Fart With An F-150

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case the noise the truck was making was exactly the same as ps noise but I had trouble pinning down just where it was coming from. All was the same as you described...noisy when cold but seemed to quiet down after running for a while. Take a look at the ac compressor and see if the clutch is engaged when it shouldn't be, say with the heat selector set to "floor". If the compressor is turning under those conditions then the clutch has seized and will soon take down the compressor with it...BTDT I posted a thread with the part #'s for a belt and pulley to bypass the compressor if it is indeed your problem but hopefully I'm way off base as far as your truck is concerned. It might well be worth a minute or two to check it out.

J.R.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

just checked the fluid...wasnt really low but it was close to the fill line so i topped it off. im going to drive it here in a bit and see if it changed anything...i REALLY hope so lol i dont feel like doing any real work on it right now bc i just changed the clutch fork in the front diff a couple of weeks ago and it was an all day thing
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM

still whining and ac compressor checks out good. parts guys said maybe try some of their friction modifier, it did wonders for my rear diff so for 7 bucks it will be my last ditch effort before changing the ps pump. they want $119.00 for the pump, that sound about right? anyone got it cheaper? haines covers the job pretty well, doesnt seem like it will be too bad but you all know how that goes lol
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Now that the modifier is installed, when you put on a new pump, purge the system as best as you can, just love the salesman trying to act like mechanics while getting their commision selling parts or in this case additives.

Quick Reply: Power steering whine??