Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Power and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power and mileage

I got a 03 f150 4.6 5 speed 4x4 i get a 22 mpg i bought and exhast system for it but some one says my mileage will go down. i also like to put a cold air intake on it also someone said i'm waisting my time. I like to stay the same with my mileage and yet have a little more power. i thought about a max energy e-con from hypertech will this hurt it or help me. I wish this truck was like my 79 SIMPLE to work on. I hate eletrical
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you really get 22 mpg? thats fantastic. i wish i could get that, i get 17 highway, i have a 02 f150 4x4 auto 4.6
Old 10-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Well first off More Horsepower = worse MPG. On top of that when you have more HP you probably want to use it with your foot, since why else would u want to have it and not use it, and yes a CAI is a waste of your money esp when you can make your own for Free or very little.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 PM

more air=more fuel is the most ignorant statement that could be made about mpg. while it is generally true in a simple way of thinking. its about efficiency, you motor is more efficient with an air filter and free exhaust, so it will get better mpg as you will need less throttle to move the truck. the motor will be more efficeint per rpm vs. throttle position, thus better mpg, if you keep your foot out of it. also, it has alot to do with much more than just how much air is going in and how much exhaust is going out, its all about the air fuel ratio, but thats a whole other subject. i guess the point is, that theres just to much to consider to say that more air= burn more gas.

and i really like your idea about sawing the end of your filter tube off, im gonna show my buddy who has an f150 that picture. us chevy guys cut the bottom of the box out with the flat drop in filter, but you guys got a cone right from the factory.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jobofly
do you really get 22 mpg? thats fantastic. i wish i could get that, i get 17 highway, i have a 02 f150 4x4 auto 4.6
My last tank i averaged 21.8 mpg everything is stock i shift a 2k and most of my miles are highway but it surprised me at first ecspecialy out of a V8
Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtzionriley
My last tank i averaged 21.8 mpg everything is stock i shift a 2k and most of my miles are highway but it surprised me at first ecspecialy out of a V8

ditto here, getting better than 21 mpg on the highway and 18+ around town. Interestingly enough i have the exact same specs for my truck....
Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BassBuster
more air=more fuel is the most ignorant statement that could be made about mpg. while it is generally true in a simple way of thinking. its about efficiency, you motor is more efficient with an air filter and free exhaust, so it will get better mpg as you will need less throttle to move the truck. the motor will be more efficeint per rpm vs. throttle position, thus better mpg, if you keep your foot out of it. also, it has alot to do with much more than just how much air is going in and how much exhaust is going out, its all about the air fuel ratio, but thats a whole other subject. i guess the point is, that theres just to much to consider to say that more air= burn more gas.

and i really like your idea about sawing the end of your filter tube off, im gonna show my buddy who has an f150 that picture. us chevy guys cut the bottom of the box out with the flat drop in filter, but you guys got a cone right from the factory.
I just put a flowmaster exhaust on it we see if it helps me or not. I've notice is runs smoothly

Quick Reply: Power and mileage