Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Possible throttle response improver

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Possible throttle response improver

I stumbled across this thread in the 2004-2008 section today and it had a solution to increase throttle response. Lots of people say this works wonders in this thread but I'm not sure if it will work on our generation. I tried it on mine and drove like a block and thought I felt a difference but wasn't sure.

Anyway, here's what you do

1. Turn the ignition to the ON postition but don't start the truck
2. Press your pedal slowly to the floor, then quickly release the pedal
3. Switch key to OFF position
4. Repeat this procedure three times

When I did this in my truck I forgot about the part where I turn the key off in between presses so that could explain why I didn't feel much of a change. I'll get back to you guys when I try it correctly.

If I read the thread correctly, this trick works because the TPS in fuel injected engines looses the correct throttle position after a while. This causes the gas pedal to be able to be pressed down a little ways and cause no change in acceleration. Some people in this forum complain of pressing their gas pedal down 1/4" before any response is felt. Assuming this trick works on our generation it should fix this issue.

Many posts in this thread also clean the throttle body and adjust pedal position among other things, but enough people said they felt huge differences only doing the three pedal press that I thought I would post this.

Also, supposedly this will work on multiple different vehicles, not just F150s. The orignal poster of this trick first used it on a motorcylce.

Here's the link to the original thread. You won't have to read too far into it to find this trick mentioned; It's on the first page(at least on my phone. Idk about PCs)

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/throttl...s-5-4-a-71539/
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe on a throttle by wire system but not on a cable system. The tps is a mechanical sensor, it can't forget anything. I call BS.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM

I thought throttle by wire and throttle buy cable(a wire) would be the same thing. What's the difference? Also the person who gave that TPS explanation was not the original person who gave this trick. The explanation occured later in the thread so that explanation could be incorrect.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM

By wire does it mean electronic?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By wire= electronic throttle
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you press the gas and the computer opens the throttle blade
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for bringing up the thread.

cant believe i missed this. going to try it out as soon as im out of school
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by me1234
I stumbled across this thread in the 2004-2008 section today and it had a solution to increase throttle response. Lots of people say this works wonders in this thread but I'm not sure if it will work on our generation. I tried it on mine and drove like a block and thought I felt a difference but wasn't sure.

Anyway, here's what you do

1. Turn the ignition to the ON postition but don't start the truck
2. Press your pedal slowly to the floor, then quickly release the pedal
3. Switch key to OFF position
4. Repeat this procedure three times

When I did this in my truck I forgot about the part where I turn the key off in between presses so that could explain why I didn't feel much of a change. I'll get back to you guys when I try it correctly.

If I read the thread correctly, this trick works because the TPS in fuel injected engines looses the correct throttle position after a while. This causes the gas pedal to be able to be pressed down a little ways and cause no change in acceleration. Some people in this forum complain of pressing their gas pedal down 1/4" before any response is felt. Assuming this trick works on our generation it should fix this issue.

Many posts in this thread also clean the throttle body and adjust pedal position among other things, but enough people said they felt huge differences only doing the three pedal press that I thought I would post this.

Also, supposedly this will work on multiple different vehicles, not just F150s. The orignal poster of this trick first used it on a motorcylce.

Here's the link to the original thread. You won't have to read too far into it to find this trick mentioned; It's on the first page(at least on my phone. Idk about PCs)

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/throttl...s-5-4-a-71539/
Our version of this is when the cable gets stretched out too much, so we lose the capability to use 100% of the throttle. A person came up with the zip tie mod to fix this. fishing weights work also, but its overall the same thing. Thanks anyway man, it was nice for you to think of us 10th gen owners.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey it never hurts to be looking for this kind of stuff! That's the point of the forum. Unfortunately in this case- not applicable...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Slightly Off

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Had to borrow this one because it is the clearest write up out there that I know of. This is worth checking.

T.P.S. Adjustments;

Via Diablo;
If you have a Diablo Predator then you don’t need pins or any special connector or volt meter.

Just plug predator in,
Turn key to on but don’t start it
Select Diagnostics
The scroll down and select Gas Trans.
Then select Choose From List
Scroll down and select TPV
Then select Fast Rate
Then Select NO for Data log

You will then see the TPV

You have enough cable on the predator to make it out of the CAB and into the Engine Bay so that you can look at it and adjust the TPS to .99.
Your T.P.S. is located on the front passenger’s side of the Plenum.

Once located Loosen the two mounting screws just slightly, you should be able to just turn it.
Clockwise will increase the number count and counter clockwise will decrease the number count.

An Alternative route;

Tools needed:

8mm socket & ratchet (to adjust idle set screw, usually not needed. 02 - 03 won't have the nut set screw)

Phillips screw driver (to loosen TPS screws)

Multimeter (to measure TPS voltage)

Pins (To stick thru the insulation on the wires to the TPS) - optional

How to check your TPS voltage:

Turn key on, but don’t crank engine.

Put positive lead of multimeter on Grey w/ White stripe wire (middle wire)

Put negative lead of multimeter on Grey w/ Red stripe (bottom wire)

One can use straight pins and poke them through the insulation. You can also use them to stick into the back of the connector as not to put holes in the wires.

Quick Reply: Possible throttle response improver