Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Please Help, Sticky Throttle in cold weather etc...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Please Help, Sticky Throttle in cold weather etc...

I have a problem which happens periodically. I live in quite cold climate, between -20 to -40C (Alberta) and if i leave my truck warming up for less than 5 minutes, and it give it a little gas when i start driving it tends to get stuck at that position. I have posted same topic earlier so you check that out if you want. It is REALLY dangerous since it's hard to stop on ice while braking and accelerating at the same time. So basically it happens when:
-It's fairly cold outside + the engine is cold
-When stepping on the throttle 1/4 way or even 1/2 way.
-It stays stuck for a while so i have to wait when i'm stopped for about 4 minutes. Then it comes back to normal (the engine is at it's regular operating temperature)
-It ussually stays stuck at 2000rpm (when i stop)

What i already did:

-Cleaned the pcv valve and throttle plate (it was excessively dirty)
-Pulled the cover off (it's 5.4) to catch it in the act. (still need to make it happen)
-brought it to the dealership, they couldn't recreate the problem again.

What im planning to do:
-Perhaps replace the throttle cable and/or IAC valve
-Probably clean the IAC valve.

I really need help guys, any help will help me, it is dangerous to drive like that since i don't want to kill anyone or hit anything.

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. Awaiting the response - Artur. Thanks for your time.

P.S. If you have any information on the replacement of the throttle cable on 03 f150 please send me the link or whatever the source is, thanks!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Throttle position sensor
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Tps has nothing to do with it sticking. I would check the spring and lubricate where it connects with some transmission fluid or 5w30
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Didn't read it as close as I should have. Easiet place to start is the throttle body. Take it off and clean the heck out of it. You could have gunk built up and not see it. It's real easy to remove. Before you put it back check the cable for any binding, kinks. Any lube you add to the outside of the motor will just collect dirt. Chevy trucks had a issue of a ton of buildup in the throttle body, and it would just choke them, or it would get stuck wide open. All you had to do was clean it with tooth brushes and carb cleaner. Also instead of sea foam Amsoil makes a cleaner called Power Foam. Spray that and let it soak. I checked on Mitchell as well and didn't see any TSB's on this.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM

The TB was cleaned to shiny aluminium, i still gotta check the routing of the cable, it seems perfectly fine, but im not too sure about it. I've tried recreating the same problem but just couldn't. Like i said, it happens sometimes while driving with the cold engine, remember pedal comes back to it's regular position (atleast it feels like it but i am 99% sure that it does) and TPS isn't the cause.

I have also sprayed WD-40 on the spring/cable and surrrounding area.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Well s!@&, it's been over a year and I thought i fixed the problem by replacing the throttle cable and IAC and bam happened again...

Ive tried lubricating the spring as well, any other ideas? Thanks again for any help.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Art.F96
Well s!@&, it's been over a year and I thought i fixed the problem by replacing the throttle cable and IAC and bam happened again... Ive tried lubricating the spring as well, any other ideas? Thanks again for any help.
okay, when it gets stuck open, can you move the pedal without a change? Ex. Peddle is pushed down half way to the floor, it gets stuck open, can you pull the pedal back out to its original position? That will tell you if it is in fact the cable. If the TB is clean and the plate is not gummed up and the springs are lubed up the only thing I can think is that you have trash in between the actual cable and the sheath around it that goes through the FW to the TB...
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 5,557 Likes on 4,634 Posts

Yea they can do that. It's from blow by initially. The moisture content causes it to chunk up in the colder months. You get MORE blow by when it gets colder. It's a combination of that and short trips. Short trips will not allow the engine to burn off enough moisture....it adds up. All that crap sticks to the top of the cam covers and invades the PCV system ending up in the IAC valve.

If you clean the PCV system out, then use a product call Deep Creep (made by seafoam) sprayed into the PCV line, that will coat the IAC and you'll be alright for quite awhile. But that's what's going on.

Quick Reply: Please Help, Sticky Throttle in cold weather etc...