Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

PATS Transponder Keys and theft reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PATS Transponder Keys and theft reset

Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to thank everyone for their post. I have a 2000 Ford F-150 Supercab XLT 7700 series. It came with two keys, but I didn't realize that one of them was not a programmed chip key, just a correctly cut chip key. I accidently used the 2nd key, the second day I owned it and the PATS system activated the theft alarm.

I tried unsuccessfully to use my other key and it would not due to the theft alarm. I tried to disconnect the battery and try after a few minutes and it still wouldn't work.

I searched the forum on my iphone.... and still no answer. A friend showed up to help and did something I hadn't thought of. He simply put the good PATS key in, turned the key to the on position and cranked it, still didn't work, then he moved the shifter to neutral and cranked and it started. After that, it started everytime no problem. That saved me a tow to the dealer and I am hoping to do the same for a future or current member.

So I wanted to make a couple extra PATS keys for my truck. The Ford logo'd keys were about $6 each including shipping on ebay. They were over $28 locally. I took them to a local locksmith who cut them both for free. Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowe's will usually charge $2 each. I learned that places like Ace, Lowe's, and Walmart can't program these keys because their machines will only make clones of keys like the ones they sell. The clones are just cloned copies of the key that you already have, so they do not count towards the two keys that you need to self program a PATS vehicle. If they try to program the key, it will just advise an error has occurred or something similar.

I checked with my local dealer and they wanted $85 just to program a key that was already cut. Another dealer 45 minutes away wanted $60.(actually reasonable for a dealer). And I was able to find one mechanic in my county that has the PATS system, he wanted $75. I went and talked to him in person and he agreed to program both keys for $40.

So all in all I paid $52($6 + $6 + $40). Not bad, but still expensive, the local dealer would have been atleast $141($85 + $28 + $28). This procedure takes less than $15 minutes from start to end. Sorry for the long post, I really hope this helps someone out. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I went to the dealer because I didn't feel like messing with all of the ebay specials out there. I've heard mixed reviews and stories of some of them not working. $140 later I ended up with two new keys that work fine but I think for that price they should have been Ford logo keys. I feel a little bit ripped off.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Just thought I'd add this. Home Depot can a chip key and program the key for $70. I bought one from there and it will start my truck. It doesn't say Ford on it though, It's a generic chip key.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats poolhustler on the great deal. Im jealous lol.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah my keys wih the Ford Logo look better than the original I have, and they came in new packaging by the Strattec company. They also had an S stamped on them, which I noticed the PATS program required in order to program them. THANKS "Me1234", your key will work fine without any problems, the only downside is that it is not a seperate key for if you wanted to program your own 3rd key. You'd still have to have two original keys. Your truck would basically think you just tried sticking in the same key twice to program a third key if you tried the user program method in the manual, because its a clone. Other than that, it's a great alternative.

Quick Reply: PATS Transponder Keys and theft reset