Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

parking break adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default parking break adjustment

my 97 2wd 4.2 5 speed manual it has rear drums and the parking break is weak. i have read that some ford vehichles hace a hole somewhere to be able to adjust them screw for the parking break. i dont know if mine has one or not. i was wondering if anyone has heard of this or not.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if its like all of the other Ford drums I've ever seen it should have a small oval/rectangular rubber plug on the back of the brake assembly. Behind that there will be a star wheel that can be adjusted with a special tool or with some skill two flat head screw drivers. There will be a small arm to lift and then you will need to turn the star wheel with the other screwdriver.

Although, if your brake system is operating properly these star wheels are self adjusting and should adjust on their own. Try backing up and firmly hitting the brakes. Do this a couple of times and see if this makes a difference; if not try taking the drums off and checking everything out, the adjusting wheels may be seized up.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 AM

what way do u turn the screw (clockwise) like any other screw. i read somewhere that they dont really self adjust or somthing. u still have to manually adjust it
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Um, I don't actually remember off of the top of my head which it turns to expand, if no one else chimes in, you might have to just play with it and figure it out, but I think its clockwise, just don't quote me on it.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 AM

thats what i was thinking i will have to do

Quick Reply: parking break adjustment