Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Overhead console, map lights on dome light, vanity lights all don't work :(

Old 09-08-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overhead console, map lights on dome light, vanity lights all don't work :(

There was a weird antenna on the top of my truck that i've never seen on any other truck so i cut it off.

After a few days later my overhead console compass started going on the frits, and about the same time all my vanity and map lights went one.

I'm pretty sure i've checked ever fuse with a continuity tester, and replaced all the relays with no luck.

I'm assuming a bad ground, but where?? Has anyone else had this issue? I'd really like to fix it. Its getting annoying at this point always having to use my glove box light to see things, or turning my dimmer switch all the way up to see at night, inside my truck
Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tasteslikeink
There was a weird antenna on the top of my truck that i've never seen on any other truck so i cut it off.

After a few days later my overhead console compass started going on the frits, and about the same time all my vanity and map lights went one.

I'm pretty sure i've checked ever fuse with a continuity tester, and replaced all the relays with no luck.

I'm assuming a bad ground, but where?? Has anyone else had this issue? I'd really like to fix it. Its getting annoying at this point always having to use my glove box light to see things, or turning my dimmer switch all the way up to see at night, inside my truck
Are you sure you didnt cut off the gps receiver. I dont think ford would put an antenna on just for looks. Had to be on there for a reason.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cg f150
Are you sure you didnt cut off the gps receiver. I dont think ford would put an antenna on just for looks. Had to be on there for a reason.

I assumed it was after marker. Doesn't explain everything else going out though.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Default Overhead console, map lights on dome light, vanity lights all don't work :(

Post a picture of the antenna you cut off and where it was mounted
Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Most definitely cut the GPS antenna, it feeds the compass signal on those systems as well.

When in doubt, don't go cutting wires
Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 PM

There's where it's at. Ut had a bout a 4" antenna coming out of it
Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like GPS antenna to me...
Old 09-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Hmmm I have an overhead console with compass and lights but I don't have that... Must be a different package truck. I can't say whether it's aftermarket or stock tho
Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Hmmm I have an overhead console with compass and lights but I don't have that... Must be a different package truck. I can't say whether it's aftermarket or stock tho
Since the ford dealer couldn't tell me anything even with my vin, I'm assuming it's after market. What it goes too I'll never know. On another not, I tested the 3 wires going to the dome like. Green/blue I believe it is tested for 6.4 volts. The middle one test 12.4 and the last was negative so I'm assuming that's ground. Does anyone have a diagram for that plug? Or the vanity lights?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Here's the kicker, when I replace the fuse for the interior lights, it has no continuity. If I take it out, it obviously does. When I put it back in, I can hear relay #1 or #2 make a bunch of clicking. I was leaning towards GEM module?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhead console, map lights on dome light, vanity lights all don't work :(