Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Overdrive not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Lost but now Im found.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Overdrive button problem FIXED. yahoooooo

Problem........ My 97 ford Expedition Overdrive is not working, It was working ok then suddently it stop. The light on the shift does not come on, But the transmission is working ok and shifting into all its gears I noticed, when I push on the overdrive button nothing happens. Is there a fuse for the overdrive....Please help

Problem Solved:.... I HAVE FINALY FOUND THE PROBLEM, THE OVERDRIVE WIRE WAS FRAYED, 2 OF THE 3 WIRES WERE CUT FROM RUBBING ON THE STEERING WHHEEL COLUMN, REMOVED THE WHOLE SHIFT AND REPAIRED THE WIRES PUT EVERYTHING BACK AND WALAAAA BACK IN BUSINESS......... yahoooooo. THANKS FOR THIS FORUN AND THE HELP OF SOME FOLKS THAT SHARED THERE EXPERIENCE HERE. SO GLAD NOW THIS IS NOW MY 2nd PROBLEM I RESOLVED FROM READING THESE FORUMS HERE. AWSOME....

Last edited by Ben RC; 07-02-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Problem fixed
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Lost but now Im found.

Default 97 ford Expedition Overdrive not working

My 97 Ford Expedition Overdrive is not working, It was working ok then suddently it stop. The light on the shift does not come on, But the transmission is working ok and shifting into all its gears I noticed, when I push on the overdrive button nothing happens. Is there a fuse for the overdrive....Please help

Last edited by Ben RC; 07-02-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben RC
My 97 ford Expedition Overdrive is not working, It was working ok then suddently it stop. The light on the shift does not come on, But the transmission is working ok and shifting into all its gears I noticed, when I push on the overdrive button nothing happens. Is there a fuse for the overdrive....Please help
Maybe a bad switch, or shorted/broken wire coming from the switch. Pull the lower cover off the steering shroud andmake sure that the wires going to the shifter are intact.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Lost but now Im found.

Originally Posted by ANT2010KR
Maybe a bad switch, or shorted/broken wire coming from the switch. Pull the lower cover off the steering shroud andmake sure that the wires going to the shifter are intact.

I will try that Thank You, But are there fuses do u know for the OD .THANK YOU
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben RC
I will try that Thank You, But are there fuses do u know for the OD .THANK YOU

It might be fuse 29. At least that is what I'm seeing on a search.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If you find a blown fuse and it keeps blowing, here is an area that you might consider to look at. My OD off light was on all the time, the return wire from the light was grounding out where the lever bolted to the column. As I said my light was on all the time but the OD worked fine. Perhaps the live wire to the light is blowing your fuse.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 PM

Default 2000 expedition xlt

I replaced shifter, since overdrive light was not turning on at all.
now light turns on when button is pressed, but it doesn’t stay on......any idea, why light is staying on?
thanks!

Quick Reply: Overdrive not working