Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Overdrive control not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive control not working

I have a 99 f-150 xlt Sport and the overdrive cortol switch does not work. I cannot deactivate it. How can I fix this?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Some switches were replaceable with out replacing the shift lever. My 02 and probably your 98, the lever has to be changed out. Was just working on mine Saturday, my light said OD was off. By pushing lever toward inst. panel the illuminated lite went out, so I felt the wire was rubbing on something making a ground.

I removed the lower panel cover (two bolts are hidden), removed jacket or collar around steering column. With lower jacket removed, this exposes a steel ball that has to be depressed to remove key assy when its in the on position. Remove top jacket and the rest was obvious, to include replacing the lever. I taped up my exposed wire and all is good.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default OAT/compass lite inop

Recently there was a thread posted here (from another forum) pertaining to soldering fractured resistor joints. Its a simple job requiring good eyes (I failed here first time), and a needle point soldering iron. As I couldn't see the fracture, I used my finger nail to lift up on the resistors untill the culprit was found. A little flux and a drop of solder and all is good again. My thanks to original poster and good luck to all.

Quick Reply: Overdrive control not working