Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Oil in spark plug hole

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in spark plug hole

How am I getting oil in #3 spark plug hole. Every 2-3 months, engine miss fire and when I check plug, the hole is full of oil. Not coolant! Does not appear to be from valve cover gasket, but cant really see under the lip without pulling cover off. Bolts are torqued to specs. Any suggestions? I have a 1999 F150 4.6L with 210,000 miles.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts

The grommet in the valve cover for the spark plug hole is the culprit. You'll need to pull the valve cover & replace. May as well do all of them & the valve cover gaskets.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Thanks Charlie, I am not looking at the engine, but I think the plug holes are above the valve cover on my engine. I have the 99 Triton V8 4.6L. I thought that the valve cover runs just below and to the side of the plug holes and fuel injectors. I do not have COPs, I have wires. I could be wrong about the valve cover though, so please correct me if I am. I have pictures if that would help.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

I have seen that oil leak on one of two places. The valve cover gasket is one and the PCV valve is the other. I would start with replacing the PCV valve and the rubber grommet. This is low cost, it reduces pressure inside your engine (thus reducing possible leaks). If you cannot find the grommet at your local parts store, you can get it from the Ford dealer for around $10.

Next I would try just snugging down the bolts in your valve cover. It sounds like you leak is very small and this may be enough to fix the problem or at least slow it down so you have to clean out the plug socket less often. I would certainly try it first before changing out the valve cover gasket.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM

At 210K miles, the gaskets really need to be replaced anyway. Once you pull the valve cover, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM

I have attached a picture of the right side of the engine.

Please excuse my questions as they are not a challenge to anything, just need clarity.

There is moist sludge or oil from cyl#2 to the back of the engine. There is no sign of any moist oil or sludge on the valve cover or around the PCV valve or along the hose. Only moisture is on the ledge or shelf where the plug holes are drilled. There is fresh oil in both #2 and #3 plug holes, with only a minimal amount in #2. Can see (If Im looking correctly) at the top part of the valve cover gasket from the front to the rear and there does not appear to be any moisture or sludge.

Are you still thinking valve cover gasket and all? If so, I will start to change out tomorrow. Is there any words of wisdom before I start this project as once I tear out the cover, it will be very hard to get to the parts store until the job is done.

Any special tools needed or things I should pick up and have on hand before I start?

Thanks for all of your help.
Attached Thumbnails Oil in spark plug hole-right-side-f150.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Man, I'm so sorry. I was just working on my Mark Viii yesterday and I was thinking of the 4v with the spark plug tube seals in the center of the cover. It still looks like your valve cover gasket to me. You may as well replace the pcv also. You don't need any specialty tools, just some deep well sockets and various extensions and maybe a swivel. I removed the wiring harness to gain easier access. You may need remove any other brackets obstructing your way, but nothing major.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Ok, so I just need to order the valve cover gaskets without the grommets and a tube of blue gasket sealer. Was having trouble finding gaskets with the grommets in them.

Is there any possibility that there is a crack or something I should look for while the cover is off? Could the block be cracked or something?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Frank, Thanks for the suggestion. I will go ahead and replace the PCV valve although it does still have vacuum. Its 15 years old probably due.

I have torqued the bolts to 10 lbs over manufacturer specs and still have no improvement. Guess I will just replace the gasket and see what happens. Set of gaskets is only about $40 here so no biggie. Just the time to do it.

Am I correct in thinking that it should take less than a day to do?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM

I doubt it. Give it a good visible inspection while its off. Hope it works for you.

Quick Reply: Oil in spark plug hole