Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Oil Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Oil Pressure Sensor

Hey guys. I was changing out my oil filter adaptor tonight, and ran into a little problem. When I went to put the oil pressure sensor on, it didnt fit. Now, it would screw in, if.....There wasnt some stupid flange coming off of the engine block. This new adaptor is replacing the remote oil filter adapter. I will now be mounting the the oil filter above the differential. If I can get the sensor on. THe sensor screws into the side facing the front of the truck. Now on my brothers 01, his sensor faces the rear of the motor. I cant do that because I wouldnt get the elec. plug on it. Is the sensor the problem? Or is it the flange? Or the adaptor? I wouldnt think the adaptor would be wrong, but then again.....
The adaptor has two tapped holes, one is plugged on the bottom, and then the one I would use, and I cant use the one on the bottom cuz it would crush on the diff.
BTW, its a 99 F150 5.4
Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

K, NM, I think I found the problem. I think ford gave me one for a 4.6. The 4.6 looks like the sensor mounts to the front of the motor, and the 5.4 mounts to the back at an angle. HI HO HI HO, its back to ford I go.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Another option might be to install a 45 or 90 degree fitting in first, just make sure there is clearance.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

I thought about that too, but where would I get one that fits? And Im not sure if the wire would reach.....
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A standard brass fitting with a 1/4 NPT will work (Believe that is the thread of the sender). I think the hardware industry calls it a street elbow. Meaning a male pipe thread one end and a female pipe thread the other. The wiring can be spliced, just make sure to use the heat shrink type of connectors to keep out the mud and muck. The depot will have the brass fitting but so will a NAPA parts store as well as the heat shrink electrtical fittings. Cole, before going this route make sure the adapter is correct as you know, keeping it stock is better than jurry rigging it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Yes sir. It actually didnt take me long to get the adapter on, so it wont be bad to take it back off. But I will check with the dealer
thanks Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

checked with dealer, say its the right part. I tried putting the sensor on first, but I cant get the lower bolt tight. And I cant get the elec. plug on the sensor cuz it still hits this flange. I dont understand why the sensor port is facing the front side of the vehicle. My brothers faces the rear and his is an 01.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

not sure if anyone is listening but just an update, I got sick of di#$in around so I went and bought a 45 degree elbow and stuck that on. Got it as snug as I think I could go, stuck the sender on, and tightened that up(hopefully she dont leak) and now Im fightin with the lower radiator hose clamp. After that, Throw a few more bolts in, pull a few out, button everything back up, top off the fluids and we'll see if im trustworthy or not. Gotta take a break though, need to go pick the wife up from work.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Default Got er done.....I think

Well, last night I finally got the hose on, put all the fluids in, and the truck wouldnt start.So I pulled the battery and brought it in to warm it up overnight. Went out this morning at -6 Degrees F and the battery still didnt want to work. So I put my jumper pack on it for a few minutes, and it finally started. YAY!
Let it warm up to temp, no leaks, no funny sounds, everythings A-OKAY!
Now I need to go get my battery posts fixed. I broke the negative terminal. Luckily I had an old one, but it doesnt tighten up enough.

Thanks for the help guys.
Now, off to find another job!

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sensor