Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Odd question regarding the Roof of '97 F150...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd question regarding the Roof of '97 F150...

Standing in the bed of my '97 Supercab washing the roof of the truck when I noticed what appeared to be scratches along the two indented lines in the roof that run from the windshield to the back of the cab. They are on either side of the roof just in from where the top of the door meets the roof and run the length of the cab. Upon further inspection, the scratches were actually cracks in the paint down the full length of the two indented sections and located in the corners of the line. Anyone else experience this problem and know what possible cause is? Too much body flex on earlier models?? Body is in VERY good shape so it's not something that happened as a result of body damage. Would take to body shop, but I'm sure they want an arm, leg and first born to fix. Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The "indentions" are filled with a pliable body putty if I am not mistaken.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I like beer

Where do you live? Maybe if you live in the north and you have some crazy amount of snow and ice that falls on it??? I have no idea, I live in Maine and I can get a ton of crap on my roof, but I don't have those cracks.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 PM

Mine have the cracks in the exact same spot.
One of them on every crease and its the whole way down.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM

I just put a roof skin on my 03 150. inside that indented area is about 1/4" of self leveling seam sealer. its tough stuff to get out. dont really know how to explain what its like. but once its in that line it makes that whole area super stiff (thats where the skin gets welded to) so everything around it would be flexing. if there was anything on the roof that would put enough stress on it then i would assume that could have caused your problem. also just the body flexing and stuff over time.

you did say the truck was a 97 so it is 11 years old. Body shop would probably want about 300 or so to fix it
Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM

My '03 has the same cracks in the same place. You can make an indentation in it with your fingernail so it must stay relatively soft. I would guess that the putty probably expands and contracts with the temp. changes at a different rate than the paint, causing the cracks. I'm just guessing, though.

Quick Reply: Odd question regarding the Roof of '97 F150...