Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

No power

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power

Hi ,

I've got a bit of a power issue here
From standing still and accelerating on full throtle it slowly picks up speed and there is not even a wheelspin, when driving it shifts down but there is absolutely no power.
When at full throttle and the engine reaches 3500 to 4000rpm it cuts out for a second, this whas very violantly the first few miles and became more subtle the more i flored it and some times even whent away.

I have the car since december now and have not been driving it since i bought it exept for a test drive around the block.
I bought the car has a non runner there whas a problem with the starter engine.
When that whas fixed it ran routh on idle and gave a check engine light i hooked it up to a scanner and had misfiring codes on plug 7 and 8.
Turned out that there had been a water infiltration at some point and the plugs and coils where heavily corroded, i replaced all 8 coils and the plugs witch fixed the problem and gave a better idle.
therefore i have no idea if the lack of power whas there before the car broke down or not.

It runs on fuel and LPG, at first i thought it might be a problem with the fuel system but i have the same problem when switching to LPG.
I don't think the tranny or torque converter can be the issue because the rpm stays low when accelerating witch indicates to me that the torque converter is locking like it should.

There is no check engine light and no default codes exept for P1000 witch is from what i understand because the cpu has not yet performed a full diagnostic on 1 or more components and should eventualy go away on its own.

There are 2 hoses that come from the left catalytic converter and go trough what i think is a pressure sensor, these are disconnected and looped back into the cat, the plug from the sensor is also unpluged. could this be the problem?
Could it be a faulty sensor (MAF, O2... )

Thanks for your help!

Model: f150 5.4 L code engine
Year: 2001
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 PM

I have a similar problem, have been chasing it for some time now. You figure anything out yet?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Ttt
Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
cliffords a 4x4

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

have you guys check your throttle cable? maybe its stretched out so bad, its not opening the throttle body all the way...... that will explain why you can floor it and get no power.. but im just talking outta my *** here... but that is one possible problem
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM
cliffords a 4x4

p.s. everyone on here mentions cleaning the MAF and the IAC....
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by F150_NAMED_CLIFFORD
p.s. everyone on here mentions cleaning the MAF and the IAC....
Only when they may be the cause of the issue. I don't suspect they are the cause in this situation...
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM
cliffords a 4x4

Originally Posted by Tackle
Only when they may be the cause of the issue. I don't suspect they are the cause in this situation...
HAHA see, like i said i was just talking outta my ***.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM
cliffords a 4x4

[MENTION=118772]Tackle[/MENTION] glad you're here to save me from drowning
Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

A faulty maf or IAC will display symptoms not mentioned in his post. Stalling, rough idle, high or low idle, surging Idle, running rough, check engine light...etc.

Not sure what's going on with the o2 sensors. You should have 4 cats and 4 sensors. If cats were removed it may be a bypass on the rear two so you don't get a check engine light.

Couple possible things I can think of is a clogged cat/s or low compression on one or more cylinders.

Since you bought this as a project, you get to play mechanic :-). Always risk in buying a non running vehicle.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 5,529 Likes on 4,613 Posts

That could be many things. My 98 felt like a slug at one time; actually it had 186,000 miles on it at the time. Dog slow, just felt heavy, was going to get rid of it lol.

Decided to go thru it first. Well, I wasn't going to, figured it would cost a lot and take to much time. Looked around on Amazon and Ebay for new parts and found just about everything I needed at half price or cheaper. After that, I figured it was worth the time.

New coils, injectors, O2's and other miscellaneous maintenance stuff and the truck ran great, it was quick, felt light, plenty of power. Had me thinking that it never ran this good, but, -it was new to long ago for me to reflect accurately, -but I was thinking it lol.

I had a 01 F150 w/5.4L at the time as well. Instead of selling the 98, I sold the 01 kept the other. Still runs very strong @ 319,000 miles, - replacing body parts on it now lol.

Anyway, I believe the ignition system and injectors need attention after so long. Coils can be way down on performance, but remain good enough to fire. Injectors, sort of the same deal. Each injector has it's own little filter screen inside. Sections of those screens do get blocked off; it almost looks like a hardened plastic spot in the screen. Not sure what it is but I've seen it which partially blocks the fuel coming in.

Quick Reply: No power