Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

No Heat!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Heat!

Well I have had this truck for a few weeks now. THis morning I get in the truck and the windows are all fogged up so I figure I will use the defroster on hot to clear them up quick like. Drove all the way to work. Noticed the temp hand was at normal operating temp but still no hot air coming out of the defrost vent.

What gives? I dont think its a stopped up heater core, but could be. I really think I have a vac leak somewhere to one of the blend actuators. Reason I say that is because. Sometimes with the AC on sometimes it just all the sudden quits blowing cold air, and some times I can turn it off and wait a few mins and turn it back on and it starts blowing cold thru the AC again. Or when I take off from a stop sometimes it quits blowing cold thru the AC.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak, failed vacuum motor, or bound-up damper - fun to find.

IIRC - at least for my model year, there are 3 vacuum motors - floor/defrost, floor/vent, and recirculate. The default position is to the floor. The temperature blend is controlled via cable. The recirculate motor is in the engine compartment, the other two are up under the dash.

My recirculation vacuum line had a leak - was bad enough that the A/C did kind of what you describe - stopped coming out the vent and went out the floor during acceleration, going up hills, etc. Let up on the accelerator, the airflow came back out the vents again.

Did you have hot air coming out anywhere? If not, then suggest to inspect the blending damper and actuator, or the heater core may indeed be plugged.

If no air is being moved - may have a fan problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the vacuum fitting that is located between the battery and the firewall. Its a common place for breaks/cracks.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wde3477
Sounds like a vacuum leak, failed vacuum motor, or bound-up damper - fun to find.

IIRC - at least for my model year, there are 3 vacuum motors - floor/defrost, floor/vent, and recirculate. The default position is to the floor. The temperature blend is controlled via cable. The recirculate motor is in the engine compartment, the other two are up under the dash.

My recirculation vacuum line had a leak - was bad enough that the A/C did kind of what you describe - stopped coming out the vent and went out the floor during acceleration, going up hills, etc. Let up on the accelerator, the airflow came back out the vents again.

Did you have hot air coming out anywhere? If not, then suggest to inspect the blending damper and actuator, or the heater core may indeed be plugged.

If no air is being moved - may have a fan problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.

The air comes out the proper registers. It doesnt swap around to the floor as you describe. Air is moving.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Originally Posted by torkum
Check the vacuum fitting that is located between the battery and the firewall. Its a common place for breaks/cracks.
Forgot all about that being problematic.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Engine temp normal, no heat out of defrosters! Was there any heat in any position? Are the two heater hoses connected and seem to be the same temperature to the feel with your hand? Lets at least establish we have coolant flow through the heater core.

Quick Reply: No Heat!