Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Newbie/shocks

Old 08-17-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie/shocks

Hi everybody, I got tired of sitting on the sidelines and decided to join the ranks. I've got an 03' F150 4x4 that I try to do a little work on every weekend. I bought it a year ago, bone stock. Since then, I've added a 2' self leveling kit, 17' rims with 33' Terra Grappler G2's, Flowmaster 40 series SI/DO and done the Gotts and silencer mod. One thing that's bugging me is the brakes. I just don't feel like the truck stops fast enough. I installed ceramic pads yesterday without changing rotors and feel no difference. I sanded the rotors with 1500, then 2000 gr paper to clean the old material off, then bedded the new pads to spec. Does anyone have any suggestions here? The rotors were not grooved, no wobble either. Im looking into heavy duty rotors now. While I had the tires off, I noticed the shocks were real old looking. Two of them look to be leaking oil. Does anyone have any input on Blistein 4600 series HD shocks? I keep hearing Rancho but aren't they made by Monroe? Any advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated. After I figure these out, I'll be moving on to adding a fan to cool the tranny. This South La heat is brutal in the afternoon! Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Rancho is owned by Tenneco which also owns Monroe.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Buy loaded Expedition calipers / rotor. They are bigger and provide more stopping power. Pretty soon I will be doing this.

As far as shocks it seems like people like the Bilstein 5100 series shocks. I have no experience with the, but that's what a lot of people want / have.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the Expedition calipers and rotors fit fight on?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Yeah, a few people have done it, you need to buy loaded calipers with the caliper bracket because they are a bigger caliper so the stock F-150 brackets won't hold the Expedition calipers.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Default Newbie/shocks

Originally Posted by work2hunt
Hi everybody, I got tired of sitting on the sidelines and decided to join the ranks. I've got an 03' F150 4x4 that I try to do a little work on every weekend. I bought it a year ago, bone stock. Since then, I've added a 2' self leveling kit, 17' rims with 33' Terra Grappler G2's, Flowmaster 40 series SI/DO and done the Gotts and silencer mod. One thing that's bugging me is the brakes. I just don't feel like the truck stops fast enough. I installed ceramic pads yesterday without changing rotors and feel no difference. I sanded the rotors with 1500, then 2000 gr paper to clean the old material off, then bedded the new pads to spec. Does anyone have any suggestions here? The rotors were not grooved, no wobble either. Im looking into heavy duty rotors now. While I had the tires off, I noticed the shocks were real old looking. Two of them look to be leaking oil. Does anyone have any input on Blistein 4600 series HD shocks? I keep hearing Rancho but aren't they made by Monroe? Any advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated. After I figure these out, I'll be moving on to adding a fan to cool the tranny. This South La heat is brutal in the afternoon! Thanks in Advance!
Sounds like you have a pretty good start! Just pick up an sd tranny cooler from a yard and strap it in. Itll drop trans temp about 20*. There is a write up on here if you search for it.

Search this Thread