Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

New to this world

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this world

I am Mustang guy, but family must come first. For now. I'm considering buying this truck from my local dealer:

HERE it is

First off, is that a decent price? And second, the front seat is bad. I did see the post on here about what seats would work in this truck, but where can I buy them new? You know, just in case the dealer wants me to prove some prices and credit me.

Lastly, I have found in my Mustang adventures that each model year has problems. What are the problems associated with this year? Anything I need to look for in particular?

Thanks in advance. And nice site, by the way
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

12 is a lot for that, especially since its a 2wd. the only problem thats a big time pain is the the coil over the #8 spark plug. gets a little wet. but other than that the f150 is a solid rig. Id hold out for a 4x4 though.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 PM

yahh i'd have to agree.****ty deal.most dealers won't give you a good deal.i'd look for a private party i got my truck for 3500 under book from a private party.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a terrible deal. I work at my uncle's ford dealership and I can attest that they are definitely trying to rip you off. Dealerships make their money through used car sales. The car is not even in retail condition and it is two wheel drive.

Take a look at craigslist and you will find a much better deal with a private owner. I bought a 97 f150 for $1400 and it has been working out great for me. While mine has double the miles of the one you are looking at, these trucks will run forever if you take good care of them. What you should do is find one that works for you on craigslist and then ask the owner if they will let you take it to a local shop to have it looked over. Usually there will be a few things wrong with it. You can then use the mechanical problems to lower the price and get a much better deal.

Thats what I did at least and it worked out pretty well for me.

Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigRedXlt
That is a terrible deal. I work at my uncle's ford dealership and I can attest that they are definitely trying to rip you off. Dealerships make their money through used car sales. The car is not even in retail condition and it is two wheel drive.

Take a look at craigslist and you will find a much better deal with a private owner. I bought a 97 f150 for $1400 and it has been working out great for me. While mine has double the miles of the one you are looking at, these trucks will run forever if you take good care of them. What you should do is find one that works for you on craigslist and then ask the owner if they will let you take it to a local shop to have it looked over. Usually there will be a few things wrong with it. You can then use the mechanical problems to lower the price and get a much better deal.

Thats what I did at least and it worked out pretty well for me.

Good Luck!
I'll agree that Craigslist is the way to go for any car sale. I've done it that way before; with my first Mustang. But alas, I was not quite as well versed in the ways of the world when I got rid of it. Now I have my 03 GT that still has a loan on it. It would be too difficult/time consuming to sell it on the private market, so I'll work with a dealer to do so.

What SHOULD I be paying for this one? I took a look around and all other trucks comparable are in the $14,000 range at dealerships. This is the best deal I can find right now. But having said that, how much would it be worth on the private market?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems like a lot of $$ to me too. Have a look at KBB.com and look for a vehicle from a private party.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Too much money...offer them $9,500 out the door.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Ninja Taco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big of a hurry are you in to get one? If you have some time then take your time. I've found 04' 4x4's for about the same price. 04's have a sweet interior and newer body style. Four wheel drive also helps defend resale value if you ever decide to sell it. 2wd's loose value much faster unless of course it's a Harley Davidson version.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ or a lightning!!! ha ha.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:24 PM

Truck prices around here have recently shot way up. I just paid $12,900 for a 22,000 mile '03 XLT 4.2L. I'm sure I paid extra for the low mileage and condition, but I looked for a long time and at a lot of trucks and this is the best I could do without buying a 150,000 mile truck.

Quick Reply: New to this world