Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Need some exhaust help Gents (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Southern 4 Life

Received 96 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Need some exhaust help Gents (Video)

So I've been thinking about redoing my exhaust system, or building off of what I've already got on the truck. When I first bought the truck a few years ago it had a dynomax muffler that was rusted through, the 3'' inlet weld was broke completely and the pipes were filled with holes. I scored a deal on the muffler I'm running now which I believe is a flowmaster 50. I know it's not a 40 or 44. it was a take off from another truck and the shop didn't know what series it was either. I got it all redone for a good price and it's now been on my truck a few years. Which means it's fully broke in. It sounds good, but I want it to sound meaner. I believe one of my rear cats is going bad, so I've been tossing the idea of cutting off the rear cats and putting on some flowmaster front cats. I heard somewhere you can remove the rear cats without setting off the o2 sensor. Does anybody know if that's true? Have any of you gents ran flowmaster cats? Just looking for some feedback.

Here's a vid of my current setup. I would highly recommend headphones if you have them. si/do flowmaster (i think 50) 3'' inlet to 2.5'' outlets and 3.5'' tips.

Excuse how dirty the truck is, its filthy and I cant wash it at the moment do to a broke hand.

Last edited by BlackThundah; 09-10-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:47 AM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

If you have a SI/DO Flowmaster muffler, the part number can be found on the inlet side of the muffler's case. Once you figure out what part number you are running, visit our website: www.flowmastermufflers.com and enter your part number into our search bar to find out exactly which muffler you've got. If you would like more more info on Flowmaster catalytic converters or have any other questions about your setup, give us a call at 707-544-4761.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

So you are trying to see about removing the rear cats and replacing them with flowmaster cats or remove all four and replace with two flowmaster cats?
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Need some exhaust help Gents (Video)

Originally Posted by BlackThundah
So I've been thinking about redoing my exhaust system, or building off of what I've already got on the truck. When I first bought the truck a few years ago it had a dynomax muffler that was rusted through, the 3'' inlet weld was broke completely and the pipes were filled with holes. I scored a deal on the muffler I'm running now which I believe is a flowmaster 50. I know it's not a 40 or 44. it was a take off from another truck and the shop didn't know what series it was either. I got it all redone for a good price and it's now been on my truck a few years. Which means it's fully broke in. It sounds good, but I want it to sound meaner. I believe one of my rear cats is going bad, so I've been tossing the idea of cutting off the rear cats and putting on some flowmaster front cats. I heard somewhere you can remove the rear cats without setting off the o2 sensor. Does anybody know if that's true? Have any of you gents ran flowmaster cats? Just looking for some feedback.

Here's a vid of my current setup. I would highly recommend headphones if you have them. si/do flowmaster (i think 50) 3'' inlet to 2.5'' outlets and 3.5'' tips.

Excuse how dirty the truck is, its filthy and I cant wash it at the moment do to a broke hand.
Yes you can remove rears with no code. Ask @jbrew pretty sure he has some info on it.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:28 PM
KCCO

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i removed all 4 of mine with no code.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Southern 4 Life

Originally Posted by jprevat
So you are trying to see about removing the rear cats and replacing them with flowmaster cats or remove all four and replace with two flowmaster cats?
Yes, ive been thinking about removing the rear cats completely and replacing the front two with flowmaster cats. I just wasn't sure if it would set off the o2 sensor.

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Yes you can remove rears with no code. Ask @jbrew pretty sure he has some info on it.
Thanks thats what I was wondering. I've read somewhere that the front two are the ones that hinder sound though. I wonder if removing the fronts and leaving the rears would make a difference. Who knows.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Southern 4 Life

Originally Posted by Blacksheep331
i removed all 4 of mine with no code.
Really? I've always heard that removing all four will set off the o2 sensor. Thats pretty cool you got away with it. I can't decide if I want to just get all highflow cats and ditch the muffler, or just ditch the cats. decisions.. decisions..
Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=BlackThundah;4326250]Really? I've always heard that removing all four will set off the o2 sensor. /QUOTE]

I as well removed all four cats (2001 5.4l SCrew), welded in new pipe, and haven't had a problem with the CEL coming on. It's been three months and plenty of driving.

Be warned, when the cats come off, she's going to get LOUD. I tried running it for a day with the Gibson SuperTruck muffler and tips that dump before the passenger rear tire. There was no way I could put up with how loud it was and I didn't want to risk a ticket so I threw a Thrush Welded in line with the Gibson and the pair work perfectly for me. It's still loud enough where my roommates can hear me leave in the morning... when they are in the shower, and the rumble is fantastic. Best mod I've done to the truck. It took me a weekend with a sawzall, welder, and two pieces of pipe to do. Bends for driver side were in the neighborhood of 70 degrees and 45 for passenger. I used the Y pipe crossover that came with the truck.

If you're really looking for rumble and volume, you might be able to get away with a flowmaster high flow cat system, but who needs that fancy gizmo stuff unless you live in a State that requires yearly inspections?

While you have the exhaust system fully apart, you might want to inspect your manifolds, replace the mounting studs, and give it the once over that these trucks need in that area. Everyone can attest to seeing a few trucks on the road with a broken manifold stud and a terrible sounding exhaust leak.

Even if you get a CEL, you an ignore it or get a $60 code reader from AutoZone that has an erase function. If you pull 2 codes, 0420 and 0430, those are the O2 sensor codes that can be erased.

But let's not beat the dead horse. There are plenty of good write-ups and threads on the site.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 PM
KCCO

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? I've always heard that removing all four will set off the o2 sensor. Thats pretty cool you got away with it. I can't decide if I want to just get all highflow cats and ditch the muffler, or just ditch the cats. decisions.. decisions..

Really, when i installed LT's and a off road Y pipe. I had to weld in 2- 02 sensor bungs into the new Y pipe and used spark plug non-fowlers. I have a programmer so i could turn them off if i needed to, but i wanted to try this first.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Southern 4 Life

[QUOTE=Anthony Kadzban;4326608]
Really? I've always heard that removing all four will set off the o2 sensor. /QUOTE]

I as well removed all four cats (2001 5.4l SCrew), welded in new pipe, and haven't had a problem with the CEL coming on. It's been three months and plenty of driving.

Be warned, when the cats come off, she's going to get LOUD. I tried running it for a day with the Gibson SuperTruck muffler and tips that dump before the passenger rear tire. There was no way I could put up with how loud it was and I didn't want to risk a ticket so I threw a Thrush Welded in line with the Gibson and the pair work perfectly for me. It's still loud enough where my roommates can hear me leave in the morning... when they are in the shower, and the rumble is fantastic. Best mod I've done to the truck. It took me a weekend with a sawzall, welder, and two pieces of pipe to do. Bends for driver side were in the neighborhood of 70 degrees and 45 for passenger. I used the Y pipe crossover that came with the truck.

If you're really looking for rumble and volume, you might be able to get away with a flowmaster high flow cat system, but who needs that fancy gizmo stuff unless you live in a State that requires yearly inspections?

While you have the exhaust system fully apart, you might want to inspect your manifolds, replace the mounting studs, and give it the once over that these trucks need in that area. Everyone can attest to seeing a few trucks on the road with a broken manifold stud and a terrible sounding exhaust leak.

Even if you get a CEL, you an ignore it or get a $60 code reader from AutoZone that has an erase function. If you pull 2 codes, 0420 and 0430, those are the O2 sensor codes that can be erased.

But let's not beat the dead horse. There are plenty of good write-ups and threads on the site.
Thats some useful information. Thank you for taking the time to explain that. I definitely don't want it too loud. Just a little bit more aggressive, so removing all 4 probably isn't the rout I want to go.

Originally Posted by Blacksheep331
Really, when i installed LT's and a off road Y pipe. I had to weld in 2- 02 sensor bungs into the new Y pipe and used spark plug non-fowlers. I have a programmer so i could turn them off if i needed to, but i wanted to try this first.
Did it work?

Quick Reply: Need some exhaust help Gents (Video)