Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

need advice on removing header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on removing header bolts

hi everyone, I posted this same thread on the "ford forum" and had 41 people look at it with no responses, so I am hoping to find better luck here. I am getting ready to remove the passenger side header on my 1997 5.4l and would like to know if anyone else has done it and if they can give me some advice on getting the rusted bolts off without snapping them. any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-17-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Make sure you soak them good in a penetrating oil, and hope for the best.
The following users liked this post:
iuecbrad (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Default need advice on removing header bolts

I think I'm going to start soaking mine once or twice daily for a week leading up to my header install and hope for the best. I've used a mixture of 50% acetone and 50% ATF on exhaust before with great success as a penetrating oil. Just my thoughts. Good luck, hope for the best.
iuecbrad (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 06:55 PM
KCCO

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iuecbrad
hi everyone, I posted this same thread on the "ford forum" and had 41 people look at it with no responses, so I am hoping to find better luck here. I am getting ready to remove the passenger side header on my 1997 5.4l and would like to know if anyone else has done it and if they can give me some advice on getting the rusted bolts off without snapping them. any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
I just did headers on mine. Pretty much what these guys said. Soak it, let it sit, soak it again. Id let it sit for 24 hours if possible making sure they stay wet the entire time. Thats what i did and i only had one break off in the head. 2 broke off out side the head and were pretty easy to get out. There is really nothing special that you can do. They are either gonna break, or they aren't. Its that simple.

If the stud comes out with the nut, REPLACE IT!!!! And be prepared. The studs list for $8.48 EA, and the nuts list for $2.61 EA. I would replace everything that i could. And chase the holes with a tap before reinstalling.
iuecbrad (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for your input. I guess I will start soaking them with PB Blaster and like you all said, hope for the best. I do plan on using all new hardware when I install the new header. thanks again for the help, it's greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't know if it helps.

Originally Posted by iuecbrad
I used my angle head air grinder with a 3in cutting disc and cut the nuts off even with the front of the manifold. Once they were all cut off I removed the manifold and used my Titan stud extractor (this looks like a drill chuck, and is one of my favorite tools for this job). Once you have the manifold off there will be more than enough stud left to put the extractor on and without the pressure holding the manifold on you will be shocked how quick they come out. Mine were really rusty too that's why I choose to cut the nuts off and control how much stud was left. I used stainless studs and nuts to go back in with my headers, the item number currently on eBay is
130668815975, or you can search Ford 5.4 stainless exhaust studs.
They sell the Titan stud extractor at most O'Reilly Auto parts stores for $25 bucks or online for $10-15, I couldn't find mine when I needed it so I went to O'Reilly and bought one, as soon as I finished I found my old one! This is a tool I would recommend to everyone. Buy one, put it in your tool box, and about the time you wonder why you ever bought it, it will save your ***!!! Hope all this helps...
2002FX4 (09-19-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Typically how we do it at work. Get that manifold out of the way, get some real work done. Less pressure on the stud, less chance of breaking off flush with the head. No one wants to drill bolts out do they.
2002FX4 (09-19-2015)

Quick Reply: need advice on removing header bolts