Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

My rig smokes intermittantly

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 AM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My rig smokes intermittantly

Ok, my truck has a factory Ford reman motor in it. I dont know the mileage on it, but it runs like a top. It doesent tick, or knock whatsoever. But from time to time on start up or when I hit the throttle from a stop, it will smoke. It's like a blie-ish smoke and quite noticable. I do have a CEL for the downstream 02 sensor on right now though. My question is, is the 02 causing this smoke, or is it something else? Also, I know these 4.6's have VCT on them. Would it harm it to add lucas to the oil change? I'm a firm beleiver in that stuff, and want to run it in the truck, but have been scurd to do so this far. Any info is welcome and appreciated!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like worn valve guides to me
Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

Idk, I would think it woiuld smoke everytime I started it, and everytime I hit the gas from a stop. It's not all the time, just here and there...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford says no additives to the oil, NONE. Oil thicker than that listed for the engine will clog ports and cause all kinds of problems. You should be using specified oil, my truck takes 5-20 synthetic or synthetic blend. No additives is what a 20 year Ford truck fleet mechanic supervisor said and that is what Ford factory says. Now people will post they did it with no problems but if you read posts here, you will find where people have also treated the engine and had serious problems including blown engines. Believe who you want to but I am going to trust the Ford mechanic and the factory.
Stand behind the truck and have someone rev up the engine, it could be a rich mixture causing the smoke not oil. You can tell if the smoke is oil or gas smoke by smelling it. It is often hard to tell the difference when driving. If it is oil smoke, you may have the famous leaking valve guide seals Fords are known for. The oil drips into the chambers at idle and then burns off when you give it the gas. I have a Crown vic that has been doing that for years and it comes and goes too. The plugs do not foul so it is not an issue to me. After a long idle I just start off slowly and don't put the pedal to the metal and you can't really see the smoke as the oil burns off.

Last edited by pickupsrule; 08-18-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Wrong term
Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
CountryBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know Ford say's no oil aditives and i agree, but some times in an older truck the engine gets a little dirty and needs a good cleaning, try changing the oil first, and if that dont work an engine cleaner might work, i used to have a 99 XLT 5.4 and when my engine started smoking a oil changed fixed it for a bit but once i got my engine cleaned it stopped smoking all together. old trucks
Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

How bad would it be to put guide seals in it? Anything like the old v8's? Sorry, never really had a mod motor apart, they have always ran flawlessly for me lol...
Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Old Wives' Tails:

Change the oil to Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage and, at the next oil change, put about 8oz of STP in the crankcase.... The 10W30 and STP will immediately help a bit on the intake valve stem seals and the High Mileage will soften the seals over time...might stop the smoke altogether.
FYI: White smoke=moisture/water; blue smoke=oil; black smoke=too rich on fuel.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 08-18-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sea foam it...(threw vacuum hose from brake booster) and it will work wonders.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
Sea foam it...(threw vacuum hose from brake booster) and it will work wonders.
I was wondering the same thing. Any idea how much I should run thru?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM
C.E.O. Poorboy Racing

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
Change the oil to Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage and, at the next oil change, put about 8oz of STP in the crankcase.... The 10W30 and STP will immediately help a bit on the intake valve stem seals and the High Mileage will soften the seals over time...might stop the smoke altogether.
FYI: White smoke=moisture/water; blue smoke=oil; black smoke=too rich on fuel.
I was thinking about that anyways lol... Great advice, thanks!

Quick Reply: My rig smokes intermittantly