Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

MPT and SCT tunes - my review

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts
Default MPT and SCT tunes - my review

Ok well its been a few weeks but I did get my tuner, the X3 from SCT. I ordered on Amazon and got the 3 'free' MPT custom tunes. I got the 87 performance/chill, 89 performance/street, and the 93 performance/street. Also these tunes went on my 2000 F150 with the 5.4 and auto transmission. Most of the reviews on SCT and MPT were on 04+ trucks, so I figured this might help some of you tenth gen guys out that are debating on getting a tune.

First impressions of the SCT tuner and Canned tunes:
The X3 comes in a fairly nice plastic container that contains the X3, an SCT emblem for your truck, updating instructions, a USB adapter cable, and if you got the 3 MPT tunes it also contains instructions on how to order the custom tunes and a MPT bumper sticker.
Uploading your tunes to your truck is exteamly easy and they also give you the options to adjust tire size, gear ratio, spark 0-2000 rpm, spark 2000-4000 rpm, spark 4000+ rpm, rear o2 on/off, shift press 1-2, shift press 2-3, shift press 3-4, WOT shift point 1-2, WOT shift point 2-3, WOT shift point 3-4, and WOT air/fuel. So I adjusted most of the options except for spark and air fuel ratio and loaded the canned 87 tune. Started the truck and it ran great, and also ideled a little lower. But, when I took it on a drive I was somewhat disappointed, the only noticeable difference I felt was in shift points. But again this was with the 87 tune.

First impressions of the MPT tunes:

Ok well first off if you have windows 8 there will be a problem with uploading your custom tunes to your X3, something about not having the drivers. Just call MPT and have them do a remote access, that's what I had to do. Ok so the custom tunes had some of the same user adjustable opinions as the SCT but not all of them. So So loaded up my MPT 87 performance/chill tune and wow! The truck idles soo smooth. The truck pulls through the gears hard and the throttle response is instant. I did have one complain with my 87 tune with chill shifting. It held first gear a little to long for my liking but MPT is fixing that for me now. I filled up with 89 a few days ago and loaded up my 89 tune. First thing I thought driving away from the gas station is Dang this feels like a whole new truck! The street shifting on the 89 tune is perfect. I went WOT from a Dead stop and could spin the Tire for the first few feet. That was something I definitely couldn't do before!! My only complaint with the 89 performance/street tune is that when you are cruising at around 30 mph the torque converter locks and unlocks, but again MPT is fixing that for me! I haven't had the chance to use the 93 tune yet but my next fill up ill be using it and will report back

As for MPG I have noticed a slight increase but this has only been over one tank

Thanks MPT yall are awesome
The following users liked this post:
jprevat (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Why

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Appreciate the review! I have been on the fence about getting a tuner and this helps my decision. I have been waiting for someone to chime in on this tuner. Not too many do reviews of these for our trucks. Sounds like it was well worth it.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by CDIESEL
Appreciate the review! I have been on the fence about getting a tuner and this helps my decision. I have been waiting for someone to chime in on this tuner. Not too many do reviews of these for our trucks. Sounds like it was well worth it.
What truck and engine do you have? I know diesels get some huge gains,like around 100 hp and torque.

I'll try to report back with some real MPG #s soon. I can't wait to try the 93 tune.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I like the sound of the MPT 89/Street tune. I think after I get my e-fans done I will try this out. Great review!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

so the adjustments you made before you loaded the tune don't get overwritten when you load the tune?

I am about to get one and am wondering how this works.

My problem with these is that to really get improvements you need to use mid to premium fuel, and with the price of mid being at least $0.20/gallon more than regular unleaded I just don't want that.
Hoping to see some improvement with an 87 tune and playing with some of the shift point settings.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by blupupher
so the adjustments you made before you loaded the tune don't get overwritten when you load the tune?

I am about to get one and am wondering how this works.

My problem with these is that to really get improvements you need to use mid to premium fuel, and with the price of mid being at least $0.20/gallon more than regular unleaded I just don't want that.
Hoping to see some improvement with an 87 tune and playing with some of the shift point settings.
There is definitely an improvement with the 87 tune throttle response is greatly improved, the transmission is actually alive and the truck runs how it should. The 89 tune has just a little bit more power and snappyness. But my 87 and 89 trans settings arnt the same. My 87 is chill and my 89 is street.

And as for the adjustments the X3 saves them and uploads them with the tune. Check out MPTs custom tune order form on there website and it has all the adjustments for aftermarket stuff that they can tune for
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Why

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thousand5.4
What truck and engine do you have? I know diesels get some huge gains,like around 100 hp and torque.

I'll try to report back with some real MPG #s soon. I can't wait to try the 93 tune.
I have a 03 scab flareside with the 5.4. I just want the truck to feel a little snappier when I hit the throttle. And firmer shifts. Yeah diesels are unreal. They can gain way more than that.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't know much about these guys, but i am a firm believer of dyno tunes in person.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

I have ran all SCT canned tunes and 3 MPT tunes

Econ 87 chill
Tow 91 street
Performance 93 race

Power wise, the 93 octane canned tune has the most butt dyno hp
The tow tune, however, is fantastic. The combination of the transmission shift adjustments and powerband control is night and day.
Just some examples of what I've hooked up to with the tow tune
Keep in mind this is on a 160xxx "stock" truck
Attached Thumbnails MPT and SCT tunes - my review-image-1130255068.jpg   MPT and SCT tunes - my review-image-2424172991.jpg   MPT and SCT tunes - my review-image-2983576017.jpg   MPT and SCT tunes - my review-image-430239470.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
2thousand5.4 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
I like the sound of the MPT 89/Street tune. I think after I get my e-fans done I will try this out. Great review!
O the 89 performance/street tune is amazing!! I just went to go over a friend's house and it just rained here and the roads were wet. Well, under normal acceleration (shifting around 2k) I was having trouble keeping traction on take offs. Granted I do have pretty much bald street tires, but this is something the stock tune would rarely do.

Originally Posted by CDIESEL
I have a 03 scab flareside with the 5.4. I just want the truck to feel a little snappier when I hit the throttle. And firmer shifts. Yeah diesels are unreal. They can gain way more than that.
Ok I wasn't sure just cause of your username but yeah I got the same engine and have 3.55 gears so the gains should be the same. The truck actually goes when I hit the gas now and it holds gear a whole lot better especially when going up hills. My shifts with the street tune are nice and firm, and MPT performance can adjust the shifting to your liking.

Originally Posted by 4x4dave
Don't know much about these guys, but i am a firm believer of dyno tunes in person.
I wish I could have done a dyno tune there is just nobody around here that does it other than this one ricer shop that does civics and all that mess. But with MPT you can tell them all your aftermarket stuff and they will right the tune accordingly. After you load the tune you can then data log with the X3 and send the data log back and they will give you free revisions to maximize performance and economy

Quick Reply: MPT and SCT tunes - my review