Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

MPT 87/performance/street tune results

Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Default MPT 87/performance/street tune results

OK, I have a SCT x3 and I got a 87 octane tune from MPT with the performance engine settings and street transmission shift settings.

This is on a stock 2002 F150 Supercrew with the 5.4/4W70R.

My inititial impression after a quick drive around the block was "well that was a waste of $250". I did not notice any improvement at all that I could feel. I drove it to and from work for 3 days (just 3 miles each way, minimal traffic and top speed of maybe 50 mph) and still did not really notice anything (kinda though I did with shifting but was not sure).

I went to school the other day (30 miles each way, mild traffic, lots of stop lights, again, 50 mph top speed) and started to notice some difference.
The biggest things I noticed is that the shifting is a little better now. It does not "slide" into gear like it used to, more of a just shifts quickly, but not harsh or jerky shift.
I have noticed too that it downshifts faster if I am passing someone, no more hesitation like it used to have, but again, not harsh. Almost more like it is already in the right gear now.
The final thing I notice is when I am slowing down, at around 25 mph I can feel it downshifting, not harsh, but a definite slowdown felt and slight increase in engine RPM. This makes those times when your slowing down and the light changes green smoother when you start to accelerate since it is already in the correct gear.

I have not really done any full throttle tests, but I never did them before so I could not compare. As I drive it more I will update this thread with my thoughts on it. No idea on mileage changes since I have not run a tank through it yet, but will keep track of it and report on that too.

Overall I am still on the fence on this, $200 for a used tuner and $50 for the tune, not sure if it was a must have for me.
I know if I got a 93 performance tune I would feel more performance increases, but did not want to spend an extra $6+ per tank ($200+/year) for premium fuel.

I may get back with MPT to make a few adjustements to the shifting, I would not mind a little firmer shifting.

Last edited by blupupher; 11-02-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Sounds typical for a programmer. But hey, what's $250 in the grand scheme? A drop in the bucket.

I have had a few different programmers on my truck. All with the same results as you. I stuck with the edge for the visual gauges.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Why

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I was on the fence about going with a custom tune and went with my edge. Overall I am happy with it. Shifts are nice and firm (not harsh) and the throttle lag is gone. When I step on the pedal it moves with more of a purpose. Worth the money IMHO. I feel like a tune is a tune unless you feel the need to get technical.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Well just finished my first tank and mileage is about the same (was 12.5 mpg). Was not really expecting any difference, but I know some say they have better mileage.
I do think that my shifting is the only real difference I am noticing still. No more power via the butt dyno. Stll have not done any full throttle tests yet, so maybe I will see a difference there.
I do think I will be contacting MPT to have them firm the shifting up a little.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the review. When I put my foot into it in my '01 SCrew I get all sorts of rage and fury from the 5.4 and it all gets soaked up in the torque converter. Do you feel the firmer shift only at light/normal throttle, or does it seem like it locks up sooner when you get on it too?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Shifts are better overall. I have done a few full throttle checks on it and it shifts well through all the gears (actually holds a little too long in 2nd for me).
No fuel mileage changes, but none were really expected. You can see my mileage in my sig.

Still have not done a data log for MPT to look at it and see if anything more can be done "performance" wise for the engine, and I do want the shifting changed a little bit firmer overall and the 2nd gear on full throttle to shift a touch sooner.

Also, with the price of gas dropping, I have debated ordering a 93 octane tune just for the heck of it. Maybe if I get a good tax return I will.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by blupupher
Shifts are better overall. I have done a few full throttle checks on it and it shifts well through all the gears (actually holds a little too long in 2nd for me).
No fuel mileage changes, but none were really expected. You can see my mileage in my sig.

Still have not done a data log for MPT to look at it and see if anything more can be done "performance" wise for the engine, and I do want the shifting changed a little bit firmer overall and the 2nd gear on full throttle to shift a touch sooner.

Also, with the price of gas dropping, I have debated ordering a 93 octane tune just for the heck of it. Maybe if I get a good tax return I will.
These 2v engines are timing hungry. 93 will make a slight difference. The logs help Mike alot. Especially with fueling and timing curves.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
These 2v engines are timing hungry. 93 will make a slight difference. The logs help Mike alot. Especially with fueling and timing curves.
Yeah, Mike said that logs really help for each vehicle. Live data shows him where the engine needs a little more tweaking, and your location (elevation, humidity etc) make a difference.
I have everything ready to do it (software on the laptop, made sure it all connected/talking to each other), just need to go out to a semi deserted road to do the runs.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Well not sure this will make you feel any better but I recently bought a new X4 from 5 Star and I will say at first I was not to impressed but over time I've noticed some nice gains in power, MPG's have been the same or less but I've been a little more liberal about getting into the throttle as well. My 5.4 def has better pull now and will hold long hill climbs without having to shift down like it used to. Now was it worth the $400 I paid for it, I'm still up in the air about that one as I was hoping for more than I got, but I will say the truck has more pull and that's been nice.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Originally Posted by katoom
Well not sure this will make you feel any better but I recently bought a new X4 from 5 Star and I will say at first I was not to impressed but over time I've noticed some nice gains in power, MPG's have been the same or less but I've been a little more liberal about getting into the throttle as well. My 5.4 def has better pull now and will hold long hill climbs without having to shift down like it used to. Now was it worth the $400 I paid for it, I'm still up in the air about that one as I was hoping for more than I got, but I will say the truck has more pull and that's been nice.
What tunes did you get?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPT 87/performance/street tune results