Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

More Heat in Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default More Heat in Winter

Greetings,
My 2000 4X4 does not put out enough heat when it gets really cold (Minnesnowta). The last couple winters I just pulled the plastic top cowl and partially covered the rad with foil windshield sun blocker.
I did change the anti-freeze but I did not change the thermostat and plan to do that before winter. Is there anything else I should look at for a solution?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:01 AM

I have read many threads on this. Most involve flushing the heater core. I don't believe this is the issue due to the heat working fine till it gets near or below zero f.
I have a 192 degree Gates stainless thermostat coming and will install it. Hopefully I won't have to test it this El Nino winter.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Keep in mind that most vehicles don't recirculate the interior air while in the heat setting so your trying to heat (or cool for that matter) the outside air. If that air is 0F or lower and your vent temp gets to around 60 that's a helluva jump

Run the fan at a slower speed. Gives the air in the box more time to gain heat.
Clean the heater core fins to give more surface area for the heat exchange to happen.

Put a meat thermometer in the vent and see what the vent temp is.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

You have a good plan of replacing the thermostat. You thermostat may be stuck open and replacing it will fix the problem. Even if it is not the problem, you are not out a lot of money. The only thing I would suggest is to check the heater hoses when the engine is warmed up. If they are both hot, the heater core is getting good circulation.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys, I will check the core fins and hose temp. I usually replace thermo's as a practice on older vehicles since they use a mechanical spring, inexpensive and usually easy to change. I didn't do it when I got the truck during the coolant change....because it was late in the Fall? I recall a old '89 F-150 2X2 I had that did not have the "high output heater" in it. I had to cover most of the radiator all winter to get any heat out of it. Also when snow piled on the hood it would blow through the outside vents onto the dash and fog the windshield. ;O

Every GM I've owned would cook you no matter the ambient temp.

Last edited by Tundra Dweller; 10-21-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 PM

It finally got cold enough to post my findings. After installing a Gates Stainless Steel 192 degree thermostat I have found the heater puts out higher temp. air and the gage rises faster with a slightly higher peak on the gage. The thermostat looked stock (192) and did have some calcium build up but not near the sealing surface.

I'll see what happens in sub-zero temperatures.....hopefully not.

Quick Reply: More Heat in Winter