Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Misfire // ignition // won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire // ignition // won't start

Looking for a little advice on where to go from here. I've got a 2000 F150 with the 4.6L V-8, about 170,000 miles on it (I've owned it since 120,000).

On Monday while on my way to work, it started losing power, running rough, and the service engine light started flashing. I got it back home and parked it. Monday night I checked the codes -- P0300, P0301, P0306, P0307, P0308 -- random misfire, misfire in 1, 6, 7, &8. The truck would still start but ran very rough. I ordered new coils / plugs online that night. Friday night the truck would not start (I was going to move it into the barn to replace the COP's). Saturday(today) I replaced the COP's and plugs on 1, 6, 7, & 8, but the truck will still not start. It turns over fine and seems to be getting fuel (I can smell it), but it won't ignite.

Notes: I replaced the IAC valve a couple weeks ago when it was having starting and idling issues in extreme cold weather (0°F). I replaced the air filter. For the past week we've been around 0°F, but today it was up to around 40°F and raining.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 5,561 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Replace the fuel filter, - check the pressure. Fuel first, always...
Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM

thanks, I'll try that --- thought about it when I replaced the IAC
Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Did you only attempt to start it just the once after the new coils ? More than once , but all attempts about the same time ? Before you thru in the towel ??

Before you do anything else, go back out and try to start it again. If it still doesn't start, cycle the key a few times. Just enough to cycle the pump, - maybe 3 times. Then try it again.

You may have some air in line. It'll purge on it's own eventually, sometimes it needs a little help, - specially if you lifted the rail before changing the coils.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:08 PM

I only tried once after finishing the job.... however, after replacing all but #7, I realized that I'd have to go to town and buy a 1/4 swivel 7mm socket to replace #7 (I didn't want to pull the fuel rail). Anyway, I thought it might start even if #7 wasn't working and I wanted to get it inside (was working outside in the wind and rain, but had an awning up over the truck).... anyway, it wouldn't start then after a couple tries.

long story short, I suppose that it could be flooded. Figure I'll try to start it again in the morning before going to town to get a fuel filter. Also, I'll push the boots around a bit in case they didn't seat properly.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Good chance of it starting up first thing in the morning. If it doesn't, yea, somethings not right still.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM

No luck... replaced the fuel filter, still won't start. I can hear the fuel pump. It cranks just fine, but acts like it's just not sparking. Every once in a while it'll act like it might want to catch, but it doesn't.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you didn't pull the fuel rail air in the lines shouldn't be an issue. You may want to try another IAC valve, crazier things have happened.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Got it running!!! After sitting for awhile, it acted like it wanted to catch so I pushed on the gas and kept cranking it and it finally caught. I kept on the accelerator for a few minutes and it finally evened out and started running smoothly. Let it idle for about 15 minutes then took it out on the road for another 15 or so. Ran smooth, no stutters or hesitations. Got home, shut it off. Started it back up again with no problem. Guess we'll see how it is in the morning after a cold night out.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by fordforlife0225
If you didn't pull the fuel rail air in the lines shouldn't be an issue. You may want to try another IAC valve, crazier things have happened.
Right, I thought he pulled the rail for some reason. I would have, I hate crap in the way.

Having all those cylinders missing like that, - somethings missing (no pun intended), but somethings not being said. Like maybe the hood was left open, the engine compartment was washed. The PCM could of just went buggy. All those cylinders at once??

Usually when they just fail to start, it's the crank sensor. But in this case, something had to happen to it like mentioned or the PCM just went goofy.

Wait a minute, there is one valve that could cause this problem. That's the EGR valve. It would have to stuck open in order for that to occur and yes, definitely would cause a no start.

Of course, bad gas. Real bad. Maybe that in combination with cheap plugs, like Autolites. I've seen Autolite 103'3 and 104's misfire at every other cylinder after installs. That's all I can think of.

If it's the IAC, he could put the pedal to the floor @ cold start and it would fire, but I don't think that's the problem.

EDIT: Yea , I didn't see your post before writing this one ^^^. Glad it's running. That was strange lol.

Last edited by Jbrew; 02-02-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Misfire // ignition // won't start