Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower ball joints

thinking of replacing myself looking for tips. 1998 f150 xlt
Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Stoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heat will help remove the old ball joints... thats about the best tip i can give ya for that.. i just did my driver's side coil spring and had the shock tip break off during disassembly.. i also noticed that my upper ball joint was bad so i replaced that part as well.. so there is another tip.. expect to spend some extra cash on the other suspension parts as well.. heck.. u might as well do it all while u have it apart.. dont forget your tyrods.. then off to the alignment shop you go!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
97F-150XLT

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Do it all if you can

When I had to change my lower balljoint on Pas. side I went examining the others closely and they were worn out or nearly worn out. I went to a Auto Zone and rented the tool kit to change the Balljoints. You pay a $100 deposit and you get the entire amount when you return it. The bottoms are really easy and can actually be done without the tool kit but it is a must for the top. Take a close look if one Balljoint is worn they probably all are. As stated don't forget the Tierod ends because you going to need a front end alignment any way so save your your self some time and money if your going to do the repairs your self and check out everything real well. Oh and by the way be sure that what ever replacement parts you buy have a grease fitting because a lot don't. Like I said I did my complete front end in the back yard in about 3-4hrs and thentook it straight to the front end shop very slowly and had the front end done and now I don't worry about it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: lower ball joints