Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Lower Ball Joint intergreated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 AM
SpEeDeR

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lower Ball Joint intergreated?

So all my ball joints have been replaced but one. Driver lower...its dieing fast. So i was planing on replacing it today got the wheel off looked at all i have to take off to get it off (never replace ball joints) and i whiped out to book just to verify and its says the lower ball joints are integrated and you have to replace the whole arm........now from what i see it doesnt look intergrated...possiable missprint or???
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you dont have to replace the whole arm. When I put on my lift kit i replaced all of mine. They are very hard to get out, but if you have the right tools you can do it. I had to borrow my grandpa's bearing press to replace it because it was in there really tight. Using a lot of WD-40 helped.

However, I do believe that the top one is integrated so that might have been what you read by mistake.

It will help to remove that lower A-arm though to get the ball joint out. Makes it easier to get it in a press of some kind.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
SpEeDeR

Yes thats what ive been reading is the top is intergreated, but the book clearing says the lower ball joint is intergreated, i read it like 10 times and had friend read it lol. Yeah wd-40 helped alot i let it soak for 1hour b4 everything went fairly smooth once i got the knuckle off i just supported the A arm with a bottle jack and gave the ball joint a nice whack with the mini sledge poped right out . I really hate when i used something for reference and its wrong because the i start 2nd guessing my self its only the 5th or 6th missprint weve found in the book
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah wow. Kinda makes me wonder if i should rely on that book. But nice job!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 PM
SpEeDeR

Originally Posted by Ckale
Hah wow. Kinda makes me wonder if i should rely on that book. But nice job!
i know its like wtf! messes with your head!
Took test drive no more squeaking just nice rumble of the old flowmaster with a slight thud from the sub

Also replace the CV while i was in there, was getting a poping/clicking when in 4wd, taking it out later this week to see if that was the cause or if i paid 70$ just to have a new shiney cv for no reason lol

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joint intergreated?