Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

loud, high pitched humming coming from near the gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud, high pitched humming coming from near the gas tank?

i have an '01 xlt 4x4 with 62,xxxx. whenever my truck is running, there's a constant, loud, high pitched hum coming from the left side right by the gas tank. it's only when the truck is running. i'm assuming my fuel pump is slowly going bad, but i thought i would check here for any other possibilities.
also, if it is the fuel pump, where should i look to get another one?

thanks!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default fuel pump

yep it's the pump either going bad, or trying to work alot harder than it should due to a dirty fuel filter... there is also a filter on the pump in the tank that filters the fuel before it goes into the pump.

autozone, advanced, ect... will have the pump and the fuel strainer ( goes on bottom of the pump) and the fuel filter

the fun part is dropping the tank to swap it....alot of people will just take the bed off the truck and work it that way!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FOMOCO466
yep it's the pump either going bad, or trying to work alot harder than it should due to a dirty fuel filter... there is also a filter on the pump in the tank that filters the fuel before it goes into the pump.

autozone, advanced, ect... will have the pump and the fuel strainer ( goes on bottom of the pump) and the fuel filter

the fun part is dropping the tank to swap it....alot of people will just take the bed off the truck and work it that way!

should i try just switching out the fuel filter first and see if that helps?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM
November 2009 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My experience with fuel pumps is that they normally crap out at aroud 100,000 miles give or take a few. Always had a highpitch wine first though as a warning sign. i have never had a pump go out on me with only
62,000 miles.

If you want you can replace the inline filter first since it is easiet to get to and cheapest, if that dosnt fix it then you should drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump.

I do not know how it is where you live but here autozone,checker,pepboys etc when we go to get a new fuel pump we cannot get just the pump what they will sell us here is the entire assembly has the pump, intank filter and fuel gauge sending unit on it.

so if you are going to replace the pump in the tank you might have to buy the entire assembly.

Quick Reply: loud, high pitched humming coming from near the gas tank?